Who keeps Auroras?

Includes Species Profile
garymc

Auroras or red winged pytillias - normals not red faced pytillias or yellow winged pytillias seem to be on the decline. Is this just he perception of a country bumpkin or are they out there somewhere in numbers?
Tiaris

Auroras have definitely declined since the Yellow-wings & Red-faced ones have been about. There are a few breeders (& only a few) in NSW at least still breeding them but not many people are not bothering with them now which is a shame. They definitely need some attention by more country bumpkins to lift them again.
Buzzard-1

I got em :thumbup: on the nest at the moment :thumbup:
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A guy I know in Canberra has some, he had some problems with his Melbas and crossbreeding (he managed to separate them in time) but for memory they were on a nest not long ago.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Tiaris

That is unusual (Melbas & Auroras crossing) I used to house both together for many years without any hint of it. I did suspect it once when Melbas started incubating in what I knew was an Auroras nest just the week before & the Melbas hatched & reared 4 nice young Auroras. The nest had 5 other eggs in it so the Melbas must have taken over the nest & the Aurora eggs hatched first.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

yeah, he said he'd had the problem a few years before and he was trying again with different pairs. Auroras are related to melbas though, aren't they? do they have similar mating songs?
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
shox

i have auroras currently on eggs. i found that people went for red wing etc as they have a bit more colour. I really enjoy my auroras and are a beautiful bird in the aviary. They are easy to keep in a mixed aviary, mind their own business. In sydney prices vary from $90 a pair to $130pr. I have no trouble in selling young probable due to the difficulty of sourcing. To those looking for a something different highly recommend but beware they love there live food morning and evening when rearing young.
dano_68

I got them (also on eggs right now) and like Shox said, they are very peaceful, mind their own business, and also mine are extremely tame. If I walk up to the wire they fly right up as if to say hello. And when I bring the daily treats in they almost come and sit on my hand! In fact if I spent some time with them I am sure they would feed from my hand...anyway, I digress lol
FINCHFUN

I have bred Auroras now for about 18 months and have successfully fledged almost 40 young in that time - In fact I am currently looking for other breeders for new bloodlines to add to my aviary. If anyone has any for sale please contact me 0414 913 050 - i am looking for a pair plus a spare cock bird.
Diane

Hi, welcome.
We do have a classifieds section but it requires 5 posts to access it, if you would like to make a post in the Introductions section you will soon have the required posts and will be able to see lots more of the forum. :D
Once you have the five posts one of the mods will move your wanted post into the classified section.
viewforum.php?f=35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits

Return to “Aurora”