Who keeps Auroras?

Includes Species Profile
Danny

FINCHFUN wrote:I have bred Auroras now for about 18 months and have successfully fledged almost 40 young in that time - In fact I am currently looking for other breeders for new bloodlines to add to my aviary. If anyone has any for sale please contact me 0414 913 050 - i am looking for a pair plus a spare cock bird.
Let me know when you've bred some more. I need a cock bird
roma9009

auroras are great little birds when I had them they used to breed alot and were always good parents,so why are they on the decline?
Danny

roma9009 wrote:auroras are great little birds when I had them they used to breed alot and were always good parents,so why are they on the decline?
Because red faced and yellow wings are "prettier"
roma9009

ive kept red face and yellow wing and the aurora is still top of my list
FINCHFUN

Danny, I currently have 10 fledglings - There is bound to be a cockbird amongst them - How urgent to you need one?
Loz_82

Yeah those Auroras are quite elusive at the moment, especially in Perth WA. I've been trying to source a pair or two for quite a while now and can only come up with a few Red Faced Pytilias and a couple of Yellow wings that a few breeders have got over here. Such a beautiful bird. Its no Gouldian or Parrot Finch by any stretch of the imagination but still a pretty.

I've never kept Auroras but i'm lead to believe that they are a docile species worthy of an inclusion in any aviary!!

Looks like this species may need some attention or a popularity boost!!! It would be devastating if it was lost to australian aviculture.
Danny

FINCHFUN wrote:Danny, I currently have 10 fledglings - There is bound to be a cockbird amongst them - How urgent to you need one?
I'm happy to wait - I'm lucky to have the hen. I popped into a pet shop the other day and saw the sign Auroras $90 pr and ran in - what they had for sale was a stunning Aurora hen paired with an equally stunning Yellow wing hen. I think I did alright out of the deal.
Tony

Hey Loz_82. You don't happen to have any of those Red Faced Pytilias still do you. I am chasing some myself.
FINCHFUN

Danny - I will repost as soon as they colour up
till02

I set up two pair about 12 months ago. One pair fledged a hen about 9 months ago. Since then nothing but they really sit tight on their eggs. I found that both pairs were continually sitting on infertile eggs. I would have to check them every 3 -4 weeks and tip the eggs out. However they have just fledged 2 young each so i hope they are of and running with their breeding. I had the melbas but found they were too dominant around the live food. The auroras are a nice bird in a mixed collection.

Return to “Aurora”