Lessers vs the nominate race

Normal and lesser Red Browed.
Includes Species Profile.
spanna

Love the look of the lesser red brow's, and have always wanted some, but I'm unsure of their needs compared to the normal red brows. In terms of hardiness, are they just as hardy? Dietary needs any different? I've found my red brows feed young on lots of green seed, sprouted seed and some maggots. Whilst I haven't bred the nominate in any real numbers, I'm more than certain that this is due to my lack of living nesting sites. While there are some available, I don't think they're thick enough, so have had nests built in the dry brush, but only small clutches from 2 of my 3 pairs last season.

I know the lesser's have no trouble nesting in dried brush, so I can't help but think they may be even more up my alley... IF I can find some, and empty out my holding aviary to pay for some, wondering how well suited they may be to me?

All input welcome, in the affirmative or negative! May be a species that isn't for me right now, but would still love any info.

Cheers!
BENSONSAN

Apparently...and i may be way off. But alot of info ive seen says that the lesser is much easier to breed then the normal east coast reddies. I would imagine tho that the lessers are still just as difficult.

Ben
desertbirds

I see that seedeater in WA on petlink has some for sale spanna. Mate they sound right up your alley. I would recommend having them on their own or with a very passive species in a lightly stocked aviary. I havent kept and bred normal redbrows but from what i have read they maybe more difficult than Lessers. Lessers arent hard to breed but the biggest problem appears to be infertility. Im not sure why but they seem to have nest after nest of infertile eggs then BINGO ! Nest after nest of fertile eggs. It appears that the people having success are living in very dry climates,so maybe keeping the aviary as dry as possible isnt a bad idea. having said that mine bred in a fairly open aviary with 900mm of rain recorded for the year :crazy: If your looking for something a bit different and a challenge then i cant say enough about this species, a beautiful little bird.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BENSONSAN

That they are...i always enjoy reading about your lessers desert birds.
spanna

:lol: that pic just makes it even more tempting. AND it doesn't help that I know seedeater is as well. But I think maybe I should wait a while. Might have to be my challenge species for when I get some more aviaries.
desertbirds

My birds were from seedeater and one pair has had 30 young ones. The ony reason i wasnt more successful is that im dis-organised, i letf too many young ones in there to cause disurption to the breeding pairs.
desertbirds

Last free pic Spanna, :thumbup: The only way to keep these birds around is too breed some, how could you resist ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spanna

:lol: oh don't worry, they'll be a part of my collection in the near future, just want to change a few things in my aviaries/build better ones before I make that kind of commitment with my money. Told my other half that I'm being tempted to buy some and got a whack for it :lol:
BENSONSAN

Truly beautiful!
Nathan Morleyy

Is the lesser red brow a separate species or a subspecies?.

Return to “Red Browed”