Subspecies

Parsons and Diggles
Includes Species Profiles
Luís Lourenço

Hi.

Can someone help me find images or photos of all subspecies of Black Throated Finches and tell me the differences between them?

Thanks!

http://lourencoaves.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Luís Lourenço

http://lourencoaves.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
arthur

Probably a pretty tough ask . .

Basically there are just the two . . The white-rumped (Parson) and the black-rumped (Diggles) which is a bit paler and a bit smaller

Geographic variations which differ in colour to some degree do exist, but in Australian aviculture the Parsons population and Diggles population are probably all 'intergrades' . . and this would apply more so to populations in overseas collections

There was a thread on this forum not so long back which dealt quite comprehensively with this topic . . "Chocolate Parsons"

As for images I can only suggest 'Google Images'
Diane

There are some topics here to take a look at.
viewtopic.php?f=100&t=5609&p=61576&hilit=diggles#p61576" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=7080&hilit=diggles&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=106&t=6699&p=52543&hilit=diggles#p52543" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1295&hilit=diggles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Luís Lourenço

Hi!

Thanks for the help. Finally I found images of black-rumped :clap:
Luís Lourenço

Tiaris

There's also P.c.nigrotecta which is a darker form of the Diggles (black-rumped) although recent taxonomic discussion has lumped this form back into the one sub-species for all black-rumped birds - P.c.atropygialis.
Luís Lourenço

Thanks for the information Tiaris ;)
Luís Lourenço

mickw

Here are some of mine......White Rumped (Parson)
parsons_small.jpg
Pretty happy with this shot....
parsonflight_smaller.jpg
And have a read of the other topics. As tiaris has said, currently two sub species recognised but aviculturalists probably recognise three :eh: , and Australia's most prolific taxonomist, Matthews, historically recognised up to 5 sub species :crazy: ........but he was probably a "Splitter", and didnt have DNA technology

Today, its nigh impossible to to verify captive birds' purity unless we know they originate from the wild.......which in most cases is illegal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Luís Lourenço

Very nice photos and thanks for the explanations :thumbup:
Luís Lourenço

Nathan Morleyy

arthur wrote:Probably a pretty tough ask . .

Basically there are just the two . . The white-rumped (Parson) and the black-rumped (Diggles) which is a bit paler and a bit smaller

Geographic variations which differ in colour to some degree do exist, but in Australian aviculture the Parsons population and Diggles population are probably all 'intergrades' . . and this would apply more so to populations in overseas collections

There was a thread on this forum not so long back which dealt quite comprehensively with this topic . . "Chocolate Parsons"

As for images I can only suggest 'Google Images'
No there's 3 subspecies .
Fincho162

I'm with Mickw (or Mr Matthews!!) there would be at least 5 - and some of those have never made it into aviculture.
Had a friend in the gulf and he described pockets of different form/race/ whatever term u wish to use from that area.

One was a smaller version with almost the entire front as the bib - apparently very localised and uncommon.......unfortunately he was not a camera buff but knew his stuff. He didn't elaborate on rump colour.

From my previous post about the pale form of the Diggles we know of 2 "types" of Diggles - and that doesn't inlcude the so-called chockie version of Diggles (black-rump). So theres 3 without the white rumped Parson making an "appearance"!

Way back in the day when I was a lad and fascinated by this very same question I also had a letter from Dr Myers (father of well-known Hunter finch identity!!) in which he listed the ones he knew of and there were at least 5 on that list. Alas I no longer have the letter!

Oh for some of those pale-form Diggles!!

Return to “Black Throated”