Quail babies perhaps

jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well Mum quail has dissapeared into the corner under some dried out pine branches and Dad quail is walking around making the most annoying noise kinda like a long chook noise .

Since this has never happened before I guesstimate BABIES ....so apart from lifting the water up a bit so the (counted before they hatched) chicks dont drown what else am I to do one they hatch please ?
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Buzzard-1

jusdeb wrote:what else am I to do one they hatch please ?
One :lol: they hatch make sure a shallow water dish with wire insert for a ramp (you wouldn't believe the small amount of water they will drown in) is available. The parents will pretty much do the rest. I give mine a few termites when I do the birds but it's not necessary, make sure there are no small holes in cage as they will fit through normal finch wire don't forget, watch the male as the odd one will kill the young but in general most are doting fathers. Enjoy !!!! (Even I think the chicks are cute.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

After last nights storm hes is sitting on eggs in a very wet part of the aviary . Oh well I guess she will move to another area and start again in time .
David Brent
teg33

For the water, I found that if you get a shallow dish, then grab a bag of marbles, clean them in boiling water, and then pour them into the dish with the water. This way there is no way the chicks can drown in the water because of the marbles, but they can still drink from it!

I also found, with my large aviary, I cleared a lot of space around the aviary so there was no 'sticky corners' so that the chicks could get around easily, and can find their mama if they get lost!

Are they king quails deb?
Birds, Drumming, Vegetarianism, Animal Welfare, dogs, animals, and books :)
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes King Quails ..found some very cold eggs in another aviary today ...Are these birds silly ? I made a sheltered corner for one pair to hide behind to lay eggs and they lay them in the open :roll: and as said the other has them in water logged leaf litter.
David Brent

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”