Strange looking Chestnut?

Includes Species Profile.
teg33

I have recently bought a pair of chestnuts from a bird sale a few months ago. They were the ONLY chestnuts in the place, so I snapped them up quick! They are both very healthy and happy birds, but I wasn't sure about one of them. I don't know the sex, but I am guessing (hoping) that they are a pair, because this one that I am going to show you has been singing a lot lately,a and mucking around with nesting material ect.

Anyway, is this normal for a chestnut? Image

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cocozanesu ... hotostream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Birds, Drumming, Vegetarianism, Animal Welfare, dogs, animals, and books :)
Nathan Morleyy

Mate thats a hybrid imbertween a chestnut beasted mannikan and a yellow rumped mannikan why on earth did you buy a hybrid for?.
Buzzard-1

Nathan Morleyy wrote:Mate thats a hybrid imbertween a chestnut beasted mannikan and a yellow rumped mannikan why on earth did you buy a hybrid for?.
Nathan Teg is asking a question about the bird, so obviously unaware the bird was a hybrid!!!!!!!!
teg33

Buzzard-1 wrote:
Nathan Morleyy wrote:Mate thats a hybrid imbertween a chestnut beasted mannikan and a yellow rumped mannikan why on earth did you buy a hybrid for?.
Nathan Teg is asking a question about the bird, so obviously unaware the bird was a hybrid!!!!!!!!
WHATTT? A HYRBID?

Sigh… I had no idea! And the breeder didn't even tell me! Oh well :S I know better for next time!

What should I do with him? Would I be able to sell him or no? Also, :lolno: does anyone have a chestnut breasted manikin NOT a hybrid for sale? :P

Gee, I feel very stupid now!
teg33

I should've went with my instincts and asked "Why does he look like that?"

He even had the yellow rumps in a different cage right next to them! Gahhhh…
Buzzard-1

Mistakes are the best teachers,(Gee I've made a few,and will probably continue doing so) as for the bird please don't breed with it, If you do sell on be honest and tell them, but the new purchaser will more than likely breed with it so the circle continues. Catch 22
teg33

Buzzard-1 wrote:Mistakes are the best teachers,(Gee I've made a few,and will probably continue doing so) as for the bird please don't breed with it, If you do sell on be honest and tell them, but the new purchaser will more than likely breed with it so the circle continues. Catch 22
Yes, I definitely WILL NOT breed with him now! But I am really unsure what to do with him now, I think I'll just have to separate him, and maybe just plop him in with the zebras. I don't think I will sell him if the owner would breed with him, but if I ever did, I would definitely be honest!

Sigh… oh dear!
We have now dubbed him

"Yellow headed mannikin"

:P
arthur

Lonchura flaviprymna.jpeg
Found this on net . . listed as Yellow Rump . . which it obviously is not

But it is a dead-ringer for your 'strange looking chestnut'

Doesn't seem much doubt that yours is X-breed (YR x CB)

Very disappointing on the part of the seller, who no doubt knew what he had

Some sales have a rule . . NO HYBRIDS

If you can't find the seller, perhaps you could get some satisfaction from sales organisers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Your idea of letting him hang out with the Zebs is the best one. And then you can breed pure Chestnuts in the other avairy.
LML
LML
Tintola

Could this bird just be a juvenile just colouring up? If not which features indicate that it is indeed a hybrid with a Yellow rumped Munia?

EDIT. Silly question as I guess "in a few months" it would have coloured by now.
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image

Return to “Chestnut Breasted”