Keeping Society Finches in mixes aviary?

Includes Species Profile
teg33

I was wondering if Society finches were ok to be kept in a mixed aviary with other finches like zebras ect. I'm only curious, because I remember my Uncle bought me a pair a long time ago, when I was 9 or something, and none of us new the species of it, and I gave them to my cousin instead because I was afraid they would harm my zebbies.

But after seeing this post, I remember those cute little birds, and was wondering would they be ok to mix with my zebras? And what are the kinds of things do you personally like about the society finch? :)
Birds, Drumming, Vegetarianism, Animal Welfare, dogs, animals, and books :)
Nathan Morleyy

Mixed aviary .
djb78

Very harmonious will mix with anything and are very sociable but only problem with them I found is once they start breeding they don't stop and will soon enough fill up an aviery.
Danny
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I also found a lot of times they will roost in other finches nests...not good if you have Stars on eggs :problem:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Fine with Zebs. Easy to breed provided you get a pair. Which just means watch to see if they dance (boy) or not (girl). Will breed like the Zebs with just seed and water. But be nice and give them seeding grass too.
LML
LML
elferoz777

Has anyone got any further experience with these bengals in a mixed collection?

i have two in a cabinet that I would like to let loose in my mixed aviary with siskins, painteds, OBs, ruddies and goulds.......

Seem ok but I dont want them ruining other nirds nesting.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
BlackCobra

I have Mixed bengalese in my aviaries as long as I can remember, zebs are different & a lot more aggressive, I had 1 pr that wouldn't let any other finches under the enclosure, I now only breed Zebs in colony.
I know Zebs would be fine in most mixed collections but I just dont want to take a chance of losing babies from much more expensive birds because the Zebs stop the other birds getting to feed there young.
Bengalese have never been a problem, some people say they are a bit inquisitive & go near other birds nests, so do red faced parrot finches & most other finches look every where until find a good nest spot.
I have got Bengales in with my other finches now & intend to put some in my bigger aviary once its refurbished.
elferoz777

Thanks BC,

I will let them loose.

They haven't looked like going to nest in the cabinet and I would like to let them loose as they are quire attractive birds.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't keep Bengalese with Gouldians as they harbour a disease that Goulds are susceptible to...
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have Benggos, Gouldians and Zebs in the same avairy twice over without problems. The main avairy has others too. BUT I select breed. This means my Bengos and Zebs mostly live in the holding avairy, and I select 1 - 3 pairs and put into the communal avairy to breed. Once they have produced the number/type of young I put them in to get. Or such sooner time as I think best. I remove them back to the holding avairy. This way they are always in small numbers compared with the other birds. I have had very little problems this way. Minor nest interference till they settle on the one they want being the only real bugbear of the situation.
LML
LML

Return to “Society Finch”