Examples of subspecies - photos anyone

natamambo

I'd like to know more about the sub-species appearances, especially the difference between the nominate sub species and the turquoise. Does anyone have good photos of either (or ideally both) that clearly show the difference. The only photo of the turquoise I have ever managed to find on the web has the belly almost black - this pic here:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... S532-1.jpg

Is the difference really that striking, or is it more subtle? Given that the turquoise also has a black back then what are the differences?
desertbirds

I was hoping to see the same Natanambo, here`s mine of the Turquiose wren and i think maybe spanna posted the other sub species some time ago . Hopefully someone has some good pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spanna

Here's a pic of the nominate ssp.; Malarus splendens splendens
Splendid wren cock.jpg
EDIT
here's another showing the back, not a very good shot, but shows the clear lack of the black rump the turquoise has.
splendid wren cock back.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desertbirds

Thanks Spanna. :thumbup:
spanna

Happy to help. Forgot just how violet they are in the shade though, especially compared to the turquoise! Now we just need someone from the east with some pics of melanotus... Nobody springs to mind at the moment though...
Diane

Aren't they just gorgeous?
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Absolutely Beatiful little birds.
LML
LML
natamambo

Spanna, are the birds really more purple overall or is it just the photos? Are the heads of the Turquoise really that much lighter? I don't remember the Spledids I saw near Albany as being that dark, even though it was not a particularly bright day.
spanna

Michael Morcombe describes them as having a "violet gloss over deep cobalt" on the chest, and the belly similar. They are very dark compared to the turquoise, and those photos of mine were taken in the shade keep in mind, versus the turquoise is in full sun... To me the nominate usually appear deep blue more than violet though.
natamambo

I was inspired to find on the hard drive the only two photos I got of the cock before he shot through again. This crop is about 5% of the original photo and that's with the 300mm lens! As a result I had never bothered to print it, to anybody else looking at the trip album it was a meaningless photo.

I had forgotten just how much richer in colour he was compared to "our" local blue wrens (superbs here of course). A for comparisons, it was lunch time so full sun and about 30 degrees so very bright.

Anyway, here's a couple of dodgy photos. Taken at Albany Guinea Pig Farm 22/12/05....

Image Image

OK, now I'm officially hooked on the nominate ssp :soppy: . Spanna, Garymc or others who have the nominate ssp when you have a pair to sell let me know ;-) . Sorry DB, colour wise the turquoise is too close to the Superbs already in the aviary.

Return to “Splendid Wren”