Black Cheeked Zebra in Australia?

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
TheFinchMan101

AMCA26 wrote:Just watched some youtube videos of Black Cheek Zebras. We just need some eggs sent over. :shifty: Again we need the gates open so we can get new birds of every species.
We can only dream. :innocent:
Finchy

Where did the original Australian black cheek stock come from, way back when? The genes must still be in there. Some countries list this mutation as "common"(!) and Australia certainly has more than enough Zebbies to work with...

I must admit I had assumed they were still around. :cry:
desertbirds

TheFinchMan101 wrote:
AMCA26 wrote:Just watched some youtube videos of Black Cheek Zebras. We just need some eggs sent over. :shifty: Again we need the gates open so we can get new birds of every species.
We can only dream. :innocent:
We dont need new species , were struggling to maintain pure forms of what we already have.
Niki_K

vettepilot_6 wrote:
finchbreeder wrote:I will sell you some if you like. Normal Javas that is. My pair - Normal cock, 75% white pied hen, have just produced 2 x nests of 4 chicks half like dad and half like mum and are just going down for the 3rd time. And those of you who disaprove of inbreeding can stop reading now. They are Dad to daughter pairing. Did not remove her soon enough but both are big strong bird and so are all the young. in breeding is frequently done - with care - by those who know genetics - in many types of creatures. Obviously I intend to tell all potential buyers.
LML
I should correct pure normal :lol: lots of "normals" but they are like Zebra finches no pure normals...all will eventually throw pied or some other mutant :evil:

Not quite true, I have a colony of pure normal zebs. Established 30yrs ago and have never thrown a mutant.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Niki_K wrote: Not quite true, I have a colony of pure normal zebs. Established 30yrs ago and have never thrown a mutant.
So you have been linebreeding ....or where do you get your different gene pool from? Doubt I will ever see pure normal Zebs or Javas for that matter... :think:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
TheFinchMan101

vettepilot_6 wrote:
Niki_K wrote: Not quite true, I have a colony of pure normal zebs. Established 30yrs ago and have never thrown a mutant.
So you have been linebreeding ....or where do you get your different gene pool from? Doubt I will ever see pure normal Zebs or Javas for that matter... :think:
If you mean by an aviary environment of course. I don't think pure wild populations of zebs is going anywhere any too soon. I know of a person who has wild colonies living near her house and some getting into her aviaries kind of like those pescky sparrows.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They ( normal Zebs assumed pure )are a nuisance to a fellow breeder at Binnaway , lucky he likes them .

Brave little buggers get into the Ringneck (Indian) aviaries and steal food , often stopping for a power nap with the IRs ...very brave .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Niki_K

vettepilot_6 wrote:
I didn't establish the colony, just inherited it. All wild caught birds and their descendents (we have permits) so as pure as you can get :) got a few breeding atm, will put pics up soon, such cuties!
Finchy

Um... What do you make of this? This baby is two weeks out of the nest.

http://youtu.be/RbgSGPtmXEA

:wtf:
killimike

Exciting times! I hope it pans out. The pictures of OS black cheeked birds that I have seen look very nice.

Return to “Mutation Finches”