Went To Flying High Bird Aviary

wagga

Vette. I thought the new people bought the acres of land, house and macaw aviaries adjacent, behind, their business. Sorry I must be mistaken everybody. You would think with that many macaws in a area the noise would give their location away even if not physically sited. Tried their website but something is wrong with it I think.
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.
E Orix

From memory didn't the early American macaw breeders actually call the Blue & Gold Macaw cross Green Wing or Scarlet Macaw a
Catalina Macaw and bred it for the Pet Trade
mickw

Great places these Walk In Aviaries.............great tool for promoting aviculture :thumbup: .......sure, they do sometimes cause Purists a little angst. I'm just back from a quick trip to Canberra and visited the Walk In at Gold Creek. Great for tourists. Nearly walked away with a beautiful tame Regent Parrot on my shoulder :lol: The number of pluckers and hybrids didnt sit well on my stomach but I also recognise that it would be hard to manage hybrids if you put Rainbow, Red Collared, Scalie and Musk Lorikeets in together :crazy: . Bloke stated that hes had some of the roughies tested for PCV (Beak & Feather) and all tests were clear.......Good to see they are thinking about it.........I wish I had that aviary :shifty:

Heaps of nice finches going about their business too :thumbup:
wagga

Mickw The new owner Mick L purchased alot of my finches for the canberra free flight. He had previously placed a pair of Softbills???? in the free flight which he thinks killed alot of the finches. So hence the lack of finches. Jayburd should be able to fill in the exact details.
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.
arthur

Here is all you need to know about Hybrid Macaw Types . . . And probably a great deal that you DID NOT

The Yanks have a different 'culture' in their 'avi'culture :hothead: :hothead: :hothead:

Parent 1

Parent 2

Chicks:

Blue & Gold

Greenwing

Harlequin

Blue & Gold

Hyacinth

Caloshua

Blue & Gold

Scarlet

Catalina

Blue & Gold

Buffons

Bluffons

Blue & Gold

Military Macaw

Miligold

Blue & Gold

Red-fronted Macaw

Maui Sunset

Buffons

Greenwing

Buffwing

Camelot

Scarlet

Capri

Catalina

Scarlet

Camelot

•The Camelot is a second Generation hybrid cross between Blue & Gold Macaw & Scarlet Macaw. Camelot macaws come in myriad colors - they are not all primarily yellow, as many believe. In fact, the yellow dominant Camelot macaw is exception.

•The Catalina is a first generation hybrid of a Scarlet and a Blue & Gold Macaw. Please refer to above for the second-generation hybrid cross -- the Camelot.

Catalina

Greenwing

Flame

•The Catalina is a hybrid of a Scarlet and a Blue & Gold Macaw

Greenwing

Calico

Cameo

Greenwing

Military

Calico

Harlequin

Greenwing

Jubilee

•The Harlequin is hybrid cross between a Blue & Gold and Greenwing

Scarlet

Buffons

Verde

Scarlet

Greenwing

Ruby

Scarlet

Military

Shamrock

Military

Blue & Gold

Miligold

Military

Hyacinth

Milicinth

Military

Buffons

Miliffons
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Even more colourful than budgie breeding by the sounds of that. But budgie breeding is not mucking arround with different types. Guess the yanks see Macaws as feathered dogs.
LML
LML
desertbirds

The good news is, we arent allowed to import macaw hybrid junk, once in a blue moon the rules make sense. :silent:
amalan11

that golden phesant is just incredible,such colours.Id swear that barney is part corella ..and thats with a corella dancing on top of my laptop screen to compare with :lol:
Myzomela

desertbirds wrote:The good news is, we arent allowed to import macaw hybrid junk, once in a blue moon the rules make sense.
The bad news is...we aren't allowed to import anything except pigeons!!

The bad news is... some morons are breeding hybrid macaws here in Australia and selling them by their hybrid names. And as the price of macaws, especially blue and golds, continues to drop the number of hybrid pairs set up for breeding will increase in a bid to get more money for these novelty birds.

Since hybridising is already ingrained amongst many parrot breeders when it comes to mutations eg lorikeets, alexandrines, rosellas and lovebirds then spectacular birds the size and colour of macaws are sure to follow.

It really, really annoys me, particularly when they then justify it by saying- " oh, it's 30/32 pure which is the same as pure"- absolute rubbish. :evil: :evil: It just further erodes any credibility aviculturists have with the scientific community, government and the public in general.

Ok, I'm off my soap box and feel better for the venting!! :)
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Tintola

[quote="MyzomelaThe bad news is...we aren't allowed to import anything except pigeons!![/quote]

GREAT!!!! I'll be able to get some Victoria Crowned Pigeons and some Many coloured Fruit Doves and some Pheasant Pigeons and........... Oh..... I bet it's just racing pigeons, Eh? Go and figure that one out, we are able to import the ones most likely to have a disease. One would think that the quarantine procedures would be the same but I guess that gambling on racing pigeons is where the pressure and money is. :roll:
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image

Return to “Anything else”