stimulating gouldians to breed

Includes Species Profile.
Tt101

hello,
i set up my gouldians to breed a couple weeks ago and at first the nest bulding was very fast and now it has slowed down to maybe a couple peices of sisal or less a day. they started to sleep in it a few days ago and now im waiting for eggs which are not happeneing. i might be rushing and need to relax...please tell me if i am lol. is there anything i can do to stimulate them to breed and lay eggs. btw they are proven as of last year if that helps. i feed egg food and tons of millet sprays daily as well as veggies-{which are rejected}. i dont want to rush them though so maybe i am pushing too much.
also on a related question how long should it normally take for young to color up? and is it possible to breed the parents again with the young still in the cage as they color up?
thanks
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I am no expert on the matter , but what colour is the hens beak , if it has turned a charcoal or black colour she is ready to breed, cant answer the question of if they would breed in the cabinet with previous young in there, mine do but they are in an aviary 4m long 1.2 m wide and 2.4 high so there is plenty of room , but as for the young it depends when they were born , that is because they all moult roughly the same time so if they were born just after the moult they would take a full year but if they were born mid year they would colour up ealier.... hope its of some help...pete
Tt101

her beak is a charcoal black color at the moment. and ok i understand how that works. so lets say i decide to let them breed a couple more times after and then stimulate a moult by decreasing light. is the moult at all dependent on feeding?
thanks

Return to “Gouldian”