Six Australian birds missing, believed lost

Netsurfer

After reading the article in the "Birds Australia" about species believed to be extinct, I thought I read something somewhere about the Thick-billed Wrens. I thought "desertbirds" mentioned something about them. Here is the abstract from that article:

"The six birds, one species and five subspecies, are the White-breasted White-eye from Norfolk Island, the form of Pied Currawong from western Victoria, the Thick-billed Grasswren from near Alice Springs, the Hooded Robin that once lived on the Tiwi Islands, the Spotted Quail-thrush from the Mount Lofty Ranges near Adelaide and the southern form of Star Finch that once occurred between Townsville and northern New South Wales."

Hi "desert" have you seen the Thick-billed Wrens in or around Alice or has anyone seen any or knows of anyone who has seen any of the six species? I thought it's worth a try on the forum, if one of the species is still around that would be something! :bun:

Southern Star Finch (Neochmia ruficauda ruficauda), photo link below:
http://wildlifing.smugmug.com/Natureand ... hho2-XL-LB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
grasswren

I have a pair of thick billed wrens at present I believe they have young definately 1
Netsurfer

grasswren wrote:I have a pair of thick billed wrens at present I believe they have young definately 1
Strange, in the "Birds Australia" they are classified as "probably extinct", are your birds registered? If I bought a pair I assume all I'd need is a "Birds Advanced" license and the details where I got the birds from. Eyrean Grasswren http://www.anra.gov.au/topics/vegetatio ... sswren.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; hasn't been seed for decades, was presumed extinct then suddenly it was rediscovered again, probably these birds are just hard to see, same as the Night Parrots and not necessarily rare or threatened.
For a moment I thought this was another uninteresting topic!
Nrg800

Thick-billed Grasswrens as a species are considered Least Concern, it's only the Alice subspecies that is considered extinct.
Latest Lifer: Black-headed Gull (HaLong Bay. #528)
Australia List: 324 (White-throated Nightjar)
Global Year List: 119 (Powerful Owl)
Netsurfer

Nrg800 wrote:Thick-billed Grasswrens as a species are considered Least Concern, it's only the Alice subspecies that is considered extinct.
In fact there are 5 subspecies, two are presumably extinct , one is critically endangered, one is vulnerable, one near threatened. Some good reading in this book "The Action Plan for Australian Birds 2010", here is an Internet preview.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=Kix ... es&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Anything else”