Hookbills fur Jusdeb

natamambo

jusdeb wrote:Ive never seen a King Parrot around here but now Ive seen it in the same place twice and a few months apart ...Single bird but thats not unusual this time of year as one would be on eggs or young .
Had them come to our feeder at Bowen Mountain , used to bring the babies who would deafen us nagging the parents .

Re. the Rosellas . Just out of town a bit where the bush is pretty much as its always been there are Rosellas with a lot more lime green than normal up the belly , almost no yellow if any at all ..wonder if they might be a sub species .
Could be yellow rosella (which are more olive than yellow I reckon), they're normally along the Murray / Darling / Murrumbidgee but perhaps the good season has seen them extend the northern reaches of their range.

jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They still have the red upper chest . I do like that one you pictured though ...very nice.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
natamambo

In that case, even though again it would be out of their range normally, I suspect they may be young crimsons (of which the yellow is a sub-species) as they are green except for the face when fledge and gradually moult to crimson.

Crimsons and easterns rarely overlap, easterns are a bird of the open plains and crimsons the hilly country.

Photos not mine btw.

As an interesting "aside" it is know known that the "Adelaide Rosella" is a naturally occurring fertile hybrid of the Crimson and Yellow which is why those two are now considered sub-species (refer to other thread re dangerous hybrids :crazy: :lol: ).
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That sounds more like them . Id like to get a photo one day .

Its an area where Ive seen Superbs too . Its always a thrill to see them in the wild .
David Brent
Nathan Morleyy

My grandfather in dubbo has heaps of king parrots that come and visit his king parrots in is aviary he feeds them every day and so do I when I am there. heaps of wild king parrots visit him and he lives in dubbo his aviary king parrots atract the. Its really fun feeding them.

Regards Nathan
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ive seen them Nathan out of town and only ever the odd one , mostly on the back road between Dubbo and Mudgee .
We had them come to our aviaries on Bowen Mountain every evening , the highlight being when they brought their very noisy young with them .
Yes beautiful birds , they remind me of xmas with the green and red .
David Brent
mattymeischke

natamambo wrote:Crimsons and easterns rarely overlap, easterns are a bird of the open plains and crimsons the hilly country.
We get them both at home; I guess we live in open hilly country.
The crimsons live on our side of the road and the easterns live on my parents side of the road.
I almost always see them on their own side of the road.

Our resident crimsons have three juveniles with them this year, where they usually have one or two.
I've also noticed that the Superbs seem mostly to have two juvies this year instead of one, and the other morning I saw a mob of about 20 juvenile galahs with no mature birds among them.
Seems to be a great year for hookbills.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lots of young Galahs here too . Extra rain=more feed=more babies I guess .
First time Ive seen Quarrion on the edge of town this year too .
Also seems to be a lot more young Rosellas getting about with 1 or both parents .

AWESOME
David Brent

Return to “Anything else”