Birds to occupy floor with major mitchells

spanna

Am asking all of those more experienced than myself if it is possible to put a species of ground dwelling birds in with my majors? Have been thinking about it for a while, but never really asked the question. Recent talks of curlews have my interests well and truly peaked, so wondering if they may be compatible? Open to other options as well though.
Myzomela

Hi Spanna,

My first reaction is to say" Don't go there-it will end in tears!"
Majors can be quite aggressive during the breeding season.
Of course it does depend on aviary size, configuration, furnishings & the temperament of the birds involved, and curlews are pretty tough cookies, but unless your aviary is very large I probably wouldn't.
Just my opinion. Others may have more positive experiences.
If you're really keen to do it, just give the curlews plenty of hiding places and watch them closely, particularly when the majors' chicks first hatch.

Let us know what you decide and how you go.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was going to say ...sure put any bird in there so long as it has armour plating , is the size of an Emu and knows how to fight but then I read Myzos reply and agree totally ..aviary dynamics play a big part in this . Good luck :thumbup:
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
spanna

Yeah thought that may be the case, but was just wondering if others have had positive experiences. The cockies in question are great natured birds and have never gone for me, take daily treats out of my hand, but they haven't bred yet either, so I'm unsure what they're like at breeding time. The aviary is an odd shaped aviary, kind of L-shaped... but... not... :eh:
I have a pic of it somewhere... *runs off*
mitchells aviary external.jpg
THAT'S a bit clearer. I don't know what you classify as pretty large Myzo, but the aviary is at least somewhat able to provide threatened birds with a shelter in the back corner. Have plenty of branches I can place around for protection/camouflage too.
Another question is whether or not having nocturnal birds like the curlews may mess with the majors? Or, for that matter, the neighbourhood after hearing their calls at this site: http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resou ... Curlew.mp3

:crazy: :crazy: lots of questions but a bird that I am falling for more and more... want to do my bit to further it in aviculture.

Thanks for the quick replies already, and for any future ones!! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wait for Tintola to pop in and see what he says .... Its good you want to keep them , I hope you can work a way to do it .
That aviary is quite spacious isn't it ...
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Tintola

In my opinion "Don't do it." I have had Majors in the past and I have Curlews now and I feel it would be too risky for the Curlews. Even if you had them in the aviary next door for months and they could see and get used to each other, eventual mixing could be good, could be disastrous. I think Majors would have a lot of fun with Curlew chicks as well if they bred. At around $500 a pair, too much to risk (not that it is about the money)
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
spanna

Sigh. Another reason for more aviaries :lol:
Thanks again for the replies, sounds like they'll be one of the first on the list when I get my own place and a new aviary complex. Yes, complex, that's my goal, and I'm stickin to it :lol:
VR1Ton

I've got a couple of Quail running around with two pairs of my Majors, I even put the Black-Breasted hen in there when both cocks are sitting/rearing, but can't put them in with another pair, they go down & chase them around the floor. I'd give it a go with a couple of spare cocks, especially with all the grass in there fo cover, one of my pirs use to hav a pair of Kings running around in the grass & breeding, & didn't bother them at all. The other option I have seen is to put a wire cage of say 75x75mm (3") wire in so the quail can get in & the cockies have no access, seen this with Wrens in with Eckies.
Diane

You could always say "Listen to those seagulls! They sound like they have a sore throat!" That would put any complainers off the scent! :lol:
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
desertbirds

how close is the aviary to the house spanna, have you heard those Curlews when they start up.not sure if id want them too close.

Return to “Anything else”