Breast bars on females?

Includes Species Profile.
Niki_K

Hi everyone,
I have an unusual hen in with the supposedly 'normal' zebs I bought at the La Trobe Bird Sale in July. She has typical normal colouring, but has a black smudge along her breast; almost like a poorly formed breast bar. She also has brown eyes, rather than the red. Any ideas re: what she could be?
I'll try to get a pic of her, but she's a fiesty little :cloppy: and won't stay still! She's laid two eggs (paired with an actual pure normal cock), so we'll see what we end up with.
Cheers
AMCA26

Its a Normal Hen, some tend to have that mark on them.
Breeding Show Zebra Finches, Blue Gouldians, Pied Orange Breast.
Niki_K

Excellent, thanks! She's the only hen I have who has one, so I wasn't sure if she actually is a normal.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Seems to be more common in those with Charcol blood.
LML
LML
Niki_K

That's interesting to know, finchbreeder. The mark is quite interesting, it actually forms a clear 'X' on her breast. Quite pretty really.
natamambo

I'd be cage breeding her and keeping the young clear of the rest of your pure normal flock, your collection is valuable from avicultural point of view if not monetarily.

If she's a mutant split you don't want her in with your pures.
Niki_K

Already done. All the normals I've bought from breeders (all hens) are being bred in cages as part of a maternal stress experiment. They currently have pure normal male mates, simply because I had more than twice as many pure males as females, and my colony permit only allows a certain number of birds, so I wasn't able to get domestic males. Their offspring will be used for a generational study, so are being kept well away from the completely pure breeding colony. Believe me, I've had to fight tooth and nail to keep it this way- if left to the animal techs, they would have just put the domestics in with the wild stock :shock:
I'm planning to sell off the domestics once I'm done with them (gosh, I sound harsh!), as I'm concerned that once I leave the uni, all the birds will be lumped in together and we'll lose those bloodlines.
Niki_K

Also, I will need to sell off excess pure normal stock in the next few months as I have about 20-odd pairs breeding up a storm! Any suggestions on what I should be charging for them? I know you're familiar with my flock, natamambo, but for those who aren't, this is a collection curated 30-odd years ago from wild populations (with a permit!) and has not ever been bred with domestic zebra finches, and has never thrown a mutant. They have also regularly been 'restocked' with wild birds (again, with a permit) to minimise inbreeding.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Would love some but freight would be the deal breaker.... :problem:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Niki_K

Sad, but true! I'd prefer not to freight them in any case, though I realise this may be the only option unless I sell them to a pet shop :shock:

Return to “Zebra”