looking for longtails

Yellow Billed and Red Billed (Hecks)
Includes Species Profiles
sallybear

zebman wrote:Both are long-tails, yellow bill is Poephila acuticauda with the hecks being the Sub species Poephila acuticuada hecki.
As natamambo said:
Note that the red beak is not considered a mutation, while they do inter-breed where the ranges overlap it is not common and they have distinct ranges in the wild (Hecks in the western end, normals in the eastern end).
I have the hecks in normal, fawn and cream which is quite often wrongly called white.
thanks for taking the time to explain this, it seems phoning around for information at bird shops , they get quite touchy about what term i am using, and im afraid i am not an expert on finches, i am still learning terms and so on. the cream long-tail sounds really pretty. they are so inquisitive and amuse me no end , they seem to have big bird syndrome, when having to be handled for any reason, they give me such an indignant look of disgust, finished off with a few bites. the one i have at the moment wakes me up in the morning is the funniest way. he is free in the house, so in the morning, he flies into my room, and buzzes me in a slow circle about 2 foot over my head. sometimes he does this for half an hour,and mid circling he will land, extend his neck with his head on one side, look at me for a while, then buzz me some more. once im up , he sings his very cute song and flies off into the kitchen to do his thing., honestly, i had no idea finches were so smart and interactive! i am hooked for sure.

Return to “Long Tailed”