Black-Throated Finch Conservation

Parsons and Diggles
Includes Species Profiles
GregH

We've all heard of the Save the Gouldian Fund but there is another dedicated group, the Black-Throated Finch Recovery Team over-looking conservation of this finch.
mickw

GregH wrote:We've all heard of the Save the Gouldian Fund but there is another dedicated group, the Black-Throated Finch Recovery Team over-looking conservation of this finch.
Thanks Greg, I better tell 'em about another 4 I've seen in my backyard 8-)
stanleytata

Thanks guys,

I am a PhD student currently working with JCU, CSIRO and the Black-throated Finch Recovery Team to research on the molecular ecology of this species in the wild as well as captive populations. So, if you have seen any of this bird, please report it to the recovery team or me at [email protected].

I have only just started my project late last year, but as it progresses, I will update my research accordingly. If anyone is interested, feel free to contact me too!

Many thanks. Stanley
Support and protect the Black-throated Finch (Poephila cincta).
Visit http://www.blackthroatedfinch.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SamDavis

Best wishes with the project Stanley.
I'm sure there are numerous finchos (including me!) on this forum who would love to be kept up to date with your research. Perhaps a definition of the term "molecular ecology " might start the ball rolling as to my simple brain the two words are not immediately related. Is it to do with studying minute bacteria and disease organisms affecting the finches?
No doubt some of us can assist with regard to husbandy of captive populations. I don't currently keep Parsons but have done in the past.
And welcome to the forum.
Sam
GregH

Great to have you you on the forum and I do hope you can quickly identify the processes leading to the decline of this species and that they can be easily remedied. Unfortunately I've not seen the species in the wild but I know that they are invisible to Clive Palmer!
arthur

Welcome to the forum Stanley

I know that the 'Blackthroat Recovery Team' has seen fit to give some lectures at avicultural gatherings . .

But what is your personal 'take' on private aviculture/ captive breeding as a conservation tool . . generally and with particular regard to the Blackthroated Finch?

And, what is the 'official' policy of the BRT organisation with regard to private aviculture/ captive breeding as a conservation tool . . generally and with particular regard to the BTF?
BOF33

Can someone point me in the right direction for obtaining a Victorian licence to keep these birds?
GregH

All the licencing requirements are found in the Victorian section of the Legal Requirement & Legislation topic. The links had gone dead but I've fixed them up.
BOF33

The links had gone dead but I've fixed them up.
Thanks for sorting those out. I had tried those links before asking the obvious question but to no avail. Now Im sorted. :thumbup:
BOF33

Does anyone know of any Victorian Black throated breeders? Or any interstate breeders willing to freight?

Return to “Black Throated”