Two hens on eggs

Includes Species Profile
lardles

Good luck Sam,

My pair has also just hatched a clutch, I think there was 4 eggs, but havent had a look as yet to count.

She went straight back down after desserting the first clutch ( mice- but not sure).

Last year she reared 2, and the nights were chilly ( March) down here, so hopefully your weather isnt as variable -hope that gives you some confidence!! - if they can rear young in Vic then you should be ok further north!.

The young leave the nest early , too early you would think when you see them and compare them to grass finches when they fledge, but they are tough little critters too.

My pair sleeps outside in the open all year, and it is freezing here in winter-autumn.

Keep the milk thistle up to them, especially if they are covered in aphids, they go mad over them. But they will eat any greens. I pull clumps of rye grass, winter grass, wild oats and other and throw in there and they go for that as well - although dont see them on the ground much.

cheers
SamDavis

wagga - yep, 9 eggs in total. Unfortunately total eggs rarely equals total fledged, but here's hoping! Picked up this cock from Castle Hill bird sale - I don't know the bloke's name but he had two cocks and a hen for sale at the time - maybe it was someone on AFF? The other cock (in holding cage) has just started to sing in the last week - too late for him now.
lardles - hope your's goes the distance this time.
Hopefully mine should be fine in terms of cold as this aviary is within our barn so very limited exposure to the elements.
I noticed the cock down eating termites this morning so maybe that means the first hen has hatched some chicks. Hopefully she'll be off the nest when I'm around so I can sneak a peek. I chuck a big handful of seeding grass in each aviary each day, includes what non-finchos consider weeds such as milk thistle.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The number of eggs a hen lays is a sign of Her fertility, the number she hatches is a sign of the Cocks fertility. May your Cock be as fertile as his Hens. :thumbup:
LML
LML
SamDavis

finchbreeder wrote:May your Cock be as fertile as his Hens. :thumbup:
LML
Amen to that.
SamDavis

At least 2 have hatched in the first nest. Yah!
SamDavis

Here's a pic of the first nest - looks like 3 out of 4 hatched.
RedSiskins.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane

:clap: Worth waiting for
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Lukec

Good work
Living In a Unit is Worse Than Being Attached to a Ball and Chain.
SamDavis

Second nest has hatched at least one. And the 3 in the first nest are going great. I feel for the poor cock bird being run of his feet (wings) by his harem! Just like all us poor men flat out looking after our lovely wives every whim. Mind you, one is more than enough for me to cope with!
mattymeischke

Bravo, Sam. Looking good...
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)

Return to “Red Siskin”