Quails

jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yay still have 11 of the original 12 babies , growing like weeds so Im wondering what next ? How long do they stay with the parents ? How long before I can tell what sex they are ? and at what age are they ready to move on to new homes ?

Thats all :thumbup:
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:D that's great deb
Sexes should begin to show at 6 weeks, ready to move out at 8 weeks.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

to elaborate, king quail babies are precocial, i.e. the only thing they need from mum is safety, warmth and a couple of days crash course in finding food. At 1 week they're eating and drinking by themselves, at 2 weeks they're very adventurous.
They do need mum for support and safety until adult at 8 weeks old, but other than that are pretty much prepared from word go.
Sexes begin to show at maybe six weeks, sometimes earlier but I wait until it's very obvious until I make the distinction. Most of my quails look like hens until they grow bibs, or have what looks like a bib but isn't :crazy: it's very confusing.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
mattymeischke

Jayburd wrote:Most of my quails look like hens until they grow bibs, or have what looks like a bib but isn't :crazy: it's very confusing.
Mine all either grow bibs or don't; it is only confusing in the weird dilute ones I have where it takes longer to become obvious.
Many people remove the chicks very young as they are precocious and at risk from aggressive males. I keep several pairs in a large aviary and they have heaps of cover, so I have little trouble with that.
My main problem is convincing someone to take the young 'uns off my hands...

In the great bird rationalisation coming soon to my aviaries, the KQs are gonna go, bar one or two pair for the holding aviary. Their sins (if that's not to strong a word) include pinching all naturally occuring live food from the floor before the others can; getting into the termites/gents/mealies even when they are on an elevated surface; creating Malthusian moral dilemmas by propogating so vigorously and finally, the cardinal sin of losing my interest.....

Of course, the four my kids resurrected yesterday will probably have to be kept (or at least appear to have been kept).
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

thank you :thumbup:
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Diane

Glad to hear your babies are going well Deb, I was hoping for some myself...even eggs would be good at the moment but they dont seem to want to do anything other than run around the aviary floor :D
mattymeischke wrote:
Jayburd wrote:Of course, the four my kids resurrected yesterday will probably have to be kept (or at least appear to have been kept).
:lol: I can just imagine the comments when first viewing their charges in the aviary...."Wow, they got really BIG very quickly"
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”