budgie breeding

haydn92

hey all i am back,my first pair of budgies is on eggs(6 of them)can some one give me info on them and i would love to hear your stories plus i lost my first white cockatiel in the nest
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Make sure that the nest site is cool as they are going to have young into summer, and using closed boxes as they do can die of heat exhaustion if let breed too far into summer. A bath to cool themselves with would be a good idea. And like finches, they need cuttlefish and green seeding heads. Recommend that once this batch of chicks is hatched, and raised, you remove the nests till Autumn as loosing them to heat stress would be heart breaking. Good luck.
LML
LML
haydn92

how do i make sprouted seeds
i know its a dumb question but i never done it successfully
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Fresh picked seed heads off wild grass is best if you have any still surviving. Plant some birdseed in a corner of the garden, water regularly and pick the heads as they fill out. This will be for next season. For now just try fresh brocoli if you have no weed seed. Small quantitys.
LML
LML
haydn92

they are on eggs now none has hatch yet
maz

roughly 3 weeks to hatching after she starts sitting (probably after the 2nd egg was layed), check the bubs every day to make sure they are sitting right cos budgies tend to sit without nesting material splayed legs can be a problem, try to give her some nesting material but dont be suprised if she throws it all out lol. I've got 3 pairs on eggs at the moment :) Here's a good link on genetics if you are interested http://www.budgieplace.com/genetics.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Best way to prevent splay legs in budgies is to have a nest with a hollow, and the best nesting material to offer is wood shavings, but not too fine. Also feed cuttlefish, most effective if done before eggs are laid, but right through breeding season.
If you want to know about budgie genetics ask Budgiebreeder. She has been breeding them for 50 years.
LML
LML
haydn92

urgant i got a babie and do i give them egg and bisuit wet or dry
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Greens for budgies they are not live food eaters so have only ever heard of people who handraise giving egg and biscuit and that is not done before they are 10 days or older.
LML
LML
maz

I give mine this Image daily once the babies hatch and also while they are laying (yes my birds are spoilt lol) but I just mix egg and biscuit in with it during those times.
It's couscous,quinoa, and a heap of different veges (they get changed depending on what I have in the fridge), outside breeding seson they get the same mix without the egg and biscuit 3 times a week.

Return to “Parrots”