Cockatiel Eye Problems - Help please!

malibu_birdie

So I have been back to the vet with these. He said they are not improving as quickly as he would like. He has told me that the pastel silver bird will need to go to him to get a weekly antibiotic injection for the next 6 to 8 weeks. He also said that I should be prepared that it may drop dead on me at any stage in the next month or so. just what I wanted to hear. So far these birds have cost me alot both emotionally and cash wise. I will be very disappointed if I lose them. Well we all learn from our mistakes. I have learnt not to buy birds unseen. At least not from someone I do not know.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah tell me about it . I got ripped by a well known breeder anyhoo we live and learn .

What a mess . Sorry you have to go through this but good on you for not giving up on them .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
budgiebreeder

Recommend changing from finch mix to good quality budgie mix with small amount of sunflower added.Give seeding grass if you have it. Plant some of your seed mix and water well if you don't. If you can get field oats add 1/4 portion to seed mix. Not hulled oats. Good luck.
lestra

We adopted a blind Cockatiel 4.5weeks ago. He is a Lutino and when I read up on it I found out it occurs when 2 Lutino's or 2 White's are bread together.
I hadn't thought that diet could be a issue, he barely eats, his previous owner had him in with 5 other tiels and they plucked every crest feather out of the poor thing.
He is getting happier by the day and eating more each day.
As we have no avian vets near us, I am preventative dosing with Avi C for infections, giving him some nutritional supplements. I am goign to pick up some Vitamin D supplement as his previous owner had all her birds in the Garage with no light at all, mine are in my sunroom so get pleanty of sunlight.
She was also sold him as a healthy handraised bird for $75 from her local bird club. The thing is there are people like myself who are happy to care for disabled animals, these people don't need to mislead people as there are always homes for these guys.

Return to “Anything else”