Blood thirsty Quail

SamDavis

I thought I'd finished with them when I just kept the old pair - purchased in 2004, so at least 7 years old. I've found them hard to get rid of in any quantity so good luck. Whenever anyone buys finches off me I always try to give them a few - rarely works! Although one parrot breeder some years ago bought 30. He wanted a pair for the floor of each of his parrot aviaries - crazy if you ask me!
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thats what is worrying me Sam , I have too many to get rid of and the same with the Zebs .

Its even harder here as the pet shops will only take a couple at a time .

Are they old enough ( quail ) to rehome do you think ? I might put some flyers up around town if they are .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
SamDavis

Brett wrote:Harv was keen to get a pair of kings but after reading the post i think we will wait :think: :think: :think:

Brett
Your welcome to a pair of mine! The chicks are definitely cute - if you've never kept them before. And great for kids because they do breed easily.
jusdeb wrote:Thats what is worrying me Sam , I have too many to get rid of and the same with the Zebs .
Its even harder here as the pet shops will only take a couple at a time .
Are they old enough ( quail ) to rehome do you think ? I might put some flyers up around town if they are .
Are the throat markings starting to appear on the cocks? If so, then I reckon they're old enough to sell. Same problem here wih the pet shops - they only want one or two pair. I usually sell excess finches to Crystal Pet and Wire and they don't sell King Quail at all.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I couldn't see any bibs today . Maybe still too young .

Brett dont let me turn you off them . As Sam said they are great little birds , I just have more than enough birds to keep me busy and dont want the hassle of them.
David Brent
Buzzard-1

Common among pheasant and larger quail specially in a brooder situation, live food as in gentiles, small crickets, even termites will alleviate the problem even crushed dog biscuits will help to a lesser extent.
jluna

salt-and-pepper quail, vietnamese style? delicious! :twisted:
Tintola

A friend gave me four frozen Jap Quail the other day. Cooked them Greek style, marinated in orange juice, garlic, olive oil and maple syrup, barbecued and placed on top on top of an orange, fig and rocket salad with pecans and more of the marinade. Scrumpalicious!!!!! :drool:

Back to the topic...... A pair of King Quail are great little birds, just toss the eggs away and no problems. :thumbup:
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now thats good thinking T .

In the meantime dog biscuits it is .

Thanks . :thumbup:
David Brent
MadOzzie

I found it difficult to buy a king quail hen on the Gold Coast but then one pet shop owner told me they were all being snapped up for snake food for larger snakes. The same guy told me zebs are ideal for smaller snakes.

MadOzzie
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That happens here too Madaussie, other half has been approached for "bulk" baby finches .
While I dont really have an opinion on the matter since people are only trying to feed their beloved pets its not what I want for my birds ...no matter how annoying they are . :thumbup:
David Brent

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”