Blue Cap Stopped singing

Includes Species Profile
ruthieharris

My Male Blue Cap has stopped singing any ideas ? The Female does (and yes it is a female ), I have another male in a different Aviary that always does so any ideas ? I would of thought with a Female in with him and another Male close by he would sing or do something ,he used to sing am thinking maybe he's getting on a bit ? I did get him from Birdworld not really interested in hen yet too
Never ever be afraid to do whats right if the well being of an animal is at stake.
Societys punishments are small compared to the wounds we afflict on our Soul when we look the other way.
~ Blue Caps ~ Tanimbars ~ Cutthroats ~ Gouldians ~ Silkie Chickens~
djb78

Hi Ruth,blue caps can have a life expectancy around 7 years, with this in mind I had makes still trying to sing at around that age definitely not as good as a young male. I would think that if the male is still in breeding age (dint know for sure) that he may have other problems which may be putting him off breeding and there goes his song. I would look at checking the health of your male blue cap, as with most birds if their sick or unhealthy due to diet (missing certain vitamins or minerals) this would put them off breeding. when was the last time did he sing?
Danny
ruthieharris

umm probably about a month ago. Before i put the Hen in with him.Do they sort of give up if theres a younger more virile male close by singing alot?ow would i know anything is wrong as he looks superb thats why I chose this one to Breed.Am feeding French Millet,White Millet ,Red Panicum,Niger,Canary and mealworms.Also grits and cuttlefish.
Never ever be afraid to do whats right if the well being of an animal is at stake.
Societys punishments are small compared to the wounds we afflict on our Soul when we look the other way.
ruthieharris

Really wierd... I swapped the 2 males over , the one that wasnt singing is now singing in the Aviary with no Hen... :wtf:
spanna

Logically thinking, a male bird sings most often to find a mate. If he has one in the aviary with him, he will sing less. My (red cheeked) cordon males sing very little when with their partners, but even when the hens are on the nest, they will sing like the clappers.
ruthieharris

thanks spanna that really makes sense :oops:

Return to “Blue Capped Cordon”