Update on Dusky Woodswallows.

Mortisha

Well 2 are doing really well. Their weights are 28 &30 grams. Adult weight is meant to be 32-35 grams - so getting there.
They are probably a week off fledging proper.
Each day, individually they can eat the equivalent of 30 medium size crickets, plus supplements of insectivorous/nectar mix & half dozen mealworms!
Lord do they poop a lot with that intake!!!!!

The third chick is just 18grams, eats half as much but is just as bright & active as the others. It has been wormed and treated for coccidiosis,etc.
Time will tell I guess.
76g.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tintola

You are doing a fantastic job with them. :thumbup: Maybe a week off fledging but about three weeks off independence, so you will be playing "Mother" for a while yet. What are your long term plans for them?
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
Nrg800

No doubt on their ID now! Great job being mum! Hope you can give them a good release!
Latest Lifer: Black-headed Gull (HaLong Bay. #528)
Australia List: 324 (White-throated Nightjar)
Global Year List: 119 (Powerful Owl)
Mortisha

Really torn about what to do with them.

Ideally i'd like to get them to the stage when they can catch insects on the wing and maybe join up with a wild flock
I've manage to to that successfully with honeyeaters, Willie wagtails & wrens in the past - but i had access to very large commercial greenhouse for a safe practice area for wild foraging. Eventually leaving the door open so they can come and go for a few months, then when the hormones kick in, off to their new territory.

Here I only have small greenhouse as a training zone and it snows in winter which I don't think a migratory bird would like very much.

Might be stuck with the little one no matter what - can't see it being fit enough to be a wild bird at this stage.
mattymeischke

Great work, thank you for the update.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
Mortisha

Just had to share this pic. Whenever i get a chance to sit outside i take the little birds out to get their Vit D.
They definite have an affinity for the sun and get up to some pretty funny poses to catch the sun.
birds sunning.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane

You have done wonders with those babies. (*pat on the back emoticon here*)
They do like the sun on their necks don't they?
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
SamDavis

I've been following this thread with great interest. I've handraised plenty of parrots but never successfully handraised a finch let alone woodswallows, so Mortisha what an AWESOME job you've done! :clap:
Mortisha

Thanks for the support everyone. It is nice to share.

They like to sit on the edge of the hollow i made for them now and clean their feathers constantly inbetween feed & sleeps.
I have them sitting on the inside window ledge so they can get use to outside sights & sounds.
Interesting they can identify crows and kookaburras as soon as they fly over. Their response is to flatten out and back down as quickly as possible down the "hollow".
bird nest.jpg
I think they will adapt to catching insects very naturally too - they already are showing signs of tracking flys and other insects that come close.
Fingers crossed they will be great little hunters.
Already they are getting adventurous and come looking to sit on my shoulder.
Mortisha

Also another observation I noticed (but you guys probably already knew about).

Had me freaked out at first, trying to work out if they were missing some vital nutrient- i now realise it is probably a natural adaptation

While they are young their front toes are curled into a ball, leaving the back claw to hook into the nest I guess.
woodswallow foot small.jpg
As they got older and started to emerge from the nest the toes unfurled, after 2 days they can hop like sparrows, perch and their feet look normal.
woodswallow foot older.jpg

Return to “Anything else”