Suspended Aviaries for Scarlet Honeyeater

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
Ripley

Hello All,

I was at the Castle Hill Sale today, and I was talking to one of the aviary builders, about building a few new aviaries to house the Scarlet's, when he raised the point that they live in the trees not on the ground, why not look at suspended's as an alternative?

Following that conversation, it appears now, that it is not too outlandish.....I'm thinking that I could continuously change the plants, so to have plants only in the aviary while they are in bloom. The back wall could have dried to tree, for example... on it for them to nest in....it would be easier to keep clean......at the moment the I'm not seeing a lot of negatives...they would be of a large enough size that they can do their thing comfortably; and they were going to be the only inmates in aviary anyway....

Also, it would mean, that say, a bank of six suspended's I could easily have three pairs!!!!!

Any thoughts? This is not gospel at the moment, I'm just looking at as many options/ alternatives at the moment and it could be an interesting experiment....

Cheers,
Ripley
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Having observed them in the wild (and banded a few) I can tell you that housing them within earshot of each other is probably not a good idea. They're extremely territorial, and if you housed them within visual range they'd be too distracted to focus on breeding.
Also, as we were banding them, I note that about half of what we caught were low down in the net, suggesting that they use this lower scrub, for feeding or what I'm not sure.
Can't say anything about what their avicultural habits are like, just saying what I observed in wild birds.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Tiaris

Another thought re: confining the flying live food - flies,drosophila,etc. (apparently an essential prerequisite for breeding them) would be very difficult in the relatively small area of a conventional suspended aviary compared to a larger aviary where they can have more chance to be caught by the birds before they escape. Perhaps guaze or shadecloth ceiling & partitions could help this??
I have no experience with them at all but from what I've heard they are very difficult to breed & not a bird to have to compromise on & still have a reasonable chance of breeding success.
Good luck. Awesome little birds.
Tintola

They are extremely active little birds.They would fly up and down all day in a neurotic manner. I don't think it would do them justice to keep them in any sized suspended cage. I would also be extremely surprised if they bred in a suspended, they are hard enough to get to breed in a 10 mtr X 10 mtr planted aviary. :thumbdown:
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
SamDavis

Maybe if the hens are in the suspendeds it might get the cocks going!
Ripley

Hello All,

Thanks for your thoughts....I think it may be an experiment that I want to try.....Speaking with my parents, they are more happy, to have some aviaries that are relatively movable....a couple of bolts etc....

My thinking is now that if if flight is one to and half metres square, by two metres long....there would be enough room.......
With live food, compost bins could be placed below each flight....the thought that a fine shade cloth will enclose all flights...and not allow the flies to move lot but back nto the flights....
And, Tintola,will appreciate this....My love of growing trees and to manipulate them to flower, just add's that little bit more....we can change frequently the flowering plants....

Again, this is probably the 'what the'' idea...but we thought the same way with lorikeets twenty years ago...

More thoughts..please...

It appears simple .....

Cheers
Ripley
Ripley

Also,

I would be happy, to run this idea as an experiment....to all my out there; I'll record all temperatures, and the feeding regiments etc....the idea appeals to the scientific side of me....

Cheers
Ripley
Craig52

Ripley, just make sure they are in a well shaded area as most birds head for the floor when it's extremely hot,they can't in a suspened as a lot of lorikeet breeders found out and lost their birds due to heat stress. Cheers Craig
Ripley

Hello Criag,

I don't think it will be problem....with your help anything is possible,,,,,
do you want to join our syndicate...Me...Sam...and ??

You did say, that Scarlet's were bred easily in Victoria,,,,

Cheers
Ripley
Craig52

No mate,i'm sticking to 2 species. Craig :wave: :lol:

Return to “For any species not listed below”