pure normals ????

Includes Species Profile.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hypothetical question hopefully to be put to use very soon ...

If one was to get their hands on some "normal" Zebra Finches ( only going on breeders say so ) .

Would it be a good plan to do this ... Let them breed the first season then sell them off in the off season as young birds whilst keeping the best of the babies to breed the next season ?

Repeating this until 100% sure there were not going to be any funky colours ( apart from what may show up in nature ) coming out in the new lot .

So most birds would be sold of at about a year old after having bred the next generation .

OK this is probably how its done anyway so next question is ....how many generations would it take before one could confidently call them pure normals ....
and be able to sell them as such . :chicken:
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Matter of opinion. People have done this for 10 years and had a ring in turn up but not very likely this would happen after that long. You would have the right from the start to say "I bought these as pure normals and have never put anything else into them."
LML
LML
rip64

Great question - was laughed at for asking for Pure ?? Normal Zebra Finches in a wanted add - How many generations of focused effort would it take to make that call ??Taking into account variations that naturally occur in wild populations.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly .... at what point can I say "yes I have pure normals " and am able to sell them with out second guessing myself.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Buzzard-1

As a young bloke a couple of years ago, all my birds were trapped, I had coloured birds on occasions fledge.

Return to “Zebra”