Metallic Starlings

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
Tiaris

Isn't there a closed season in NSW for Deer (& also trout another feral species).
wagga

This week I have noticed a new bird appear in the trees in the back yard very early in the morning then disappearing/flying off soon after. Initially I thought it was a under sized male Satin Bower bird with glossy?? black feathers, red eyes, tail feathers ended in a vee shape and a unusual song/call. These birds are near impossible for me to photo due to their shyness, colour and back light through the trees.
Today, 6.30am, a group of 5 appeared. I was able to have a closer look before they flew off, chasing a kookaburra i think, and these birds look like the Metallic Starling (Aplonis metallica) that I have previously seen in Cairns.

Being a tropical bird and now winter is approaching could they be just migrating north from a extreme southern summer location. The record breaking wet year might have influenced their southern migration pattern.
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.
iaos

Wagga, spangled drongos are on the move at the moment :thumbup:
Tintola

The long, forked tail gives it away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
wagga

Thanks guys. They sure are eye catching.
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.

Return to “For any species not listed below”