Normal not so normal

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
lestra

I got 2 normal Gouldian girls (a red-headed and a orange headed), they are from purely normal stock as my neighbour like me feels preserving the gene pool is important.
He had no boys so found me a boy from another breeder. I found out Today that all her Gould's have a recessive gene for white chests sigh. I wonder what I will get when they breed?
Which girl should I put him with?
Now I am hunting a normal male with no recessive mutation genes. I have no interest in mutations in any finch, I just want normals so that I know I am doing my part to preserve these stunning birds.
Tiaris

If you pair 2 birds which look normal but carry the white-breasted mutation gene (splits), they will produce roughly 50% splits, 25% white-breasted, 25% normals. The normals and splits will be visually indiscernable from each other.
Even mating your splits to normals will produce roughly half each of splits and normals - again both will look identical so the splits will not be able to be identified & all should be regarded as possible splits.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mutations have their place but if you want to breed pure normals I would on sell the male which has the white chest genes in it...otherwise sooner or later you will end up with mutations that you might not have wanted...
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or put an add in the swap section of the forum and swap him for a pure normal. Sure someone will be willing.
LML
LML

Return to “Mutation Finches”