Red Whiskered Bulbul -help in visual sexing birds

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
wagga

Sydney bird shop has Bulbul's for sale. On inspection at the shop there is not a lot of difference visually, if they stay still long enough to get a good look. Apart from DNA testing or watching/listening to the birds in a very small over crowded noisy room, any tips for obvious visual indicators in sexing.
Owner advises that the birds are wild caught birds from the western Sydney suburbs. Any other potential problems, health or aggression, I should look for?
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.
Tintola

Hi Wagga, I found this link somewhat helpful but not definitive. Let us know how you go.

http://www.pbase.com/cristianjensen/red ... red_bulbul
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
Myzomela

In my LIMITED experience the cocks tend to be slightly bigger and have cleaner white faces- just as Tintola's link suggests.

Just make sure that they area eating some pellets and not just live food. They seem to take the Prettybird Pellets or Vetafarm Nutriblend quite well. This will just mean that they have already adapted somewhat to captivity and should take the move to your place much better.
Luckily, they are quite varied in their diet preferences and also eat fruit quite well.

As with any bird don't buy anything that's thin or dirty around the vent or sitting still too long on the perch!! :)
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Tintola

When I was kid I kept them on a bit of fruit and chicken pellets only and they nested but not successfully. They are mainly fruit eaters and will take live food, softbill mixes, Madeira cake almost anything. Only one pair to an aviary as the dominant pair will kill any others in with them when breeding season comes around. Can be very flighty, even hand raised ones revert to being quite wild once independent though somewhat better than wild caught ones. If you have the option buy uncoloured young as they adapt more quickly to captivity. Late Summer is most likely time to find these.
TomDeGraaff

The facial patterns tend to be less bright and distinct in the hen. The red markings are also duller. :)
wagga

Thanks guys for the advice. I am in Sydney for the next 2 weeks and intend having a good look around the place before making any purchases.
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.
arthur

http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora//Auk/v092n ... -p0057.pdf

Might not be quite the right spot for the above, but it does give insight into suitable diets . . and other interesting snippets

Also throws a little light onto its fruit eating, which supposedly is the reason that it is not kosher in the 'smart state'

Might even present a case to convince Qld authorities to reconsider their prohibition of these birds in the aviary situation, given that they are currently already quite well established already in many areas of suburbia up here
Last edited by arthur on 27 Nov 2012, 10:58, edited 2 times in total.
Tintola

This should be "Clickable" You left out the http:// bit. :roll:

http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora//Auk/v092n ... -p0057.pdf
arthur

Thxx

As you know I am still coming to grips with the 'new money' . .

And I know these danged computers will take quite a bit longer

Return to “For any species not listed below”