Good morning from Southern Africa!

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
zimbabwean_finch

Good morning all.
I’ve been a member of the site for some time now, but i have predominantly been lurking.
It’s good to meet you all!
For some background info, I am a beekeeper with the hobbies of fish keeping, carpentry and, of course, birds!

I have 12 zebra finches, 39 Rosy-Cheeked Lovebirds, as well as an assortment of local birds that I have rehabilitated and released. These local birds fly around the garden and farm, hanging around for the food and baths I have out for them.

Anyway, nice to meet you all! I look forward to being an official member of the finch forum!
Jamie Swan
Wildlife lover, rat hater.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to the forum.
How do you house your Lovebirds?
I'M a fincho, but come from a background of - mother is a budgiebreeder and father was a Lovebird, parrot and big cockie man.
LML
BrettB

Hi Jamie

Welcome to the forum
I have been to Zimbabwe and was suprised as to how much some of the countryside reminded me of northern Western Australia (Kimberley, etc).
That is of course the home of many of our most beautiful finches. (Just a little biased :P)
And of course you have many beautiful finches of your own, which we do not really get the oppertunity to keep.

Always interested in different insights into our hobby

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
zimbabwean_finch

finchbreeder wrote: 18 May 2024, 11:09 Welcome to the forum.
How do you house your Lovebirds?
I'M a fincho, but come from a background of - mother is a budgiebreeder and father was a Lovebird, parrot and big cockie man.
Thanks for the welcoming!
I house them in a large outdoor aviary, planted with grasses and some bamboo, various palms etc. Really, the plants are whichever ones can outgrow the lovebirds’ incessant chewing!

I have been keeping finches for only 2 or 3 years now, after having to hand-raise a bronze mannikin and two African Fire Finches. They have since been released back to the wild.
Jamie Swan
zimbabwean_finch

BrettB wrote: 19 May 2024, 16:01 Hi Jamie

Welcome to the forum
I have been to Zimbabwe and was suprised as to how much some of the countryside reminded me of northern Western Australia (Kimberley, etc).
That is of course the home of many of our most beautiful finches. (Just a little biased :P)
And of course you have many beautiful finches of your own, which we do not really get the oppertunity to keep.

Always interested in different insights into our hobby

Cheers
Brett
Hi Brett, thanks for the welcome!
I’ve got family scattered throughout Australia (Perth and Darwin), and they definitely agree with you!
Zimbabwe has an unbelievably diverse landscape, if you’re willing to travel through the country.

I can certainly understand the bias, and both sides have several incredible finch species.
As I am still relatively new to finch-keeping, I am always open to learn and exchange tips.

Cheers
Jamie Swan
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dad had the chewing problem with the Lovebirds too. :think:
But as the avairies were middling as oposed to large, he also found he had to be very careful, with the dynamics if adding birds.
LML
zimbabwean_finch

finchbreeder wrote: 21 May 2024, 10:19 Dad had the chewing problem with the Lovebirds too. :think:
But as the avairies were middling as oposed to large, he also found he had to be very careful, with the dynamics if adding birds.
Very true, the lovebirds can be territorial even in a large aviary. I have kept them as a single species colony, it’s far safer for any other birds than mixing them in. Some people can get away with mixed species, but mine don’t like many other birds :think:
Jamie Swan
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I couldn't even keep them safe as a single species colony. It was practically a Game of Thrones situation between the "alpha" pair and whichever pair wanted to take that place.
zimbabwean_finch

Shane Gowland wrote: 23 May 2024, 14:29 I couldn't even keep them safe as a single species colony. It was practically a Game of Thrones situation between the "alpha" pair and whichever pair wanted to take that place.
Interesting Shane!
I know that some others in my area who keep lovebirds have dealt with issues like this. I’ve found that an excess of nest boxes/sites, plenty of perches, several sources of food and water as well as a large enough aviary has helped to significantly reduce any aggression. Another factor I’ve noticed is keeping lovebirds with a similar colour scheme, and at least three or four pairs.

For example, I keep Rosy-Faced lovebirds that have some of the markings of Fischer’s lovebirds. They all get along well.
However, I was given three pastel-blue lovebirds that were bullied severely, even after being introduced properly etc.
I had to build them their own, slightly smaller, aviary.
Jamie Swan
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dad always have to move them arround to introduce new ones.
He had a couple of avairies, so the occupants went into the other avairy when new ones were added.
So everyone was new to that avairy at the same time.
Lot of mucking arround.
LML

Return to “Introduce Yourself”