Secret to keeping Gouldians???

Includes Species Profile.
dRAG_jUNKIE

I wouldn't mind keeping a few Gouldians, but i've heard from some people they are very hard 2 keep, apparently the die very easily. Do they have special needs? are they hard to keep? or is this a myth?
Keeping: fresh air 😅
Misso

my biggest tip would be to have an aviary which is draft proof, since gouldians don't have down feathers to keep the cold wind out.

but i don't believe they are fragile, normal gouldians will cope well, the rarer mutations ie blue gouldian are prone to dieing young.

but they thrive well off a good seed mix, greens and your other finch essentials, cuttle bone, grit sprouted seed etc etc.

Jarryd :)
Leigh

No secret. As said above good seed mix, sprouts and egg food a few times a week and clean water every day and they are happy.
Poohbear UK

Gouldians from good healthy stock are no harder to keep than any other bird...buy from an experienced gouldian breeder who has a good stud bred over the years and you will find them an easy bird to keep.
Last edited by Poohbear UK on 11 Nov 2009, 06:19, edited 1 time in total.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Being in Qld you have half the battle won with the warmer weather , mine love the sun and winters are a challenge here so I keep mine in movable cages so they can be kept out of the wind and put in the garage at night ( we get big frosts ).
Lots of greens , good seed , fresh water and a mix of grit /charcoal / egg shell is all mine seem to be interested in occasionally they will have a pick at insectivore food .
They are all different mine wont eat millet sprays or sprouts but I know breeders whose birds readily take these .
Mine have more personality than my other finches and always get in my face for a chat when Im near the cage so I think they like a bit of human interaction but like I said they are all different.
And of course getting good stock from a reputable breeder.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
gomer

With the things mentioned.I would say they are one of the easiest to keep and breed.I would rate them the next step up from zebs and bengos.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
dRAG_jUNKIE

thanks for your help guys, i will definately get a pair.

Does anyone in brisbane or the toowoomba area (or anywhere in between) have a pair for sale that were bred in an outside aviary?
Keeping: fresh air 😅
Will_36

Lots of seeding grass every day. The more the better.Any weed you can find in the back yard.
Must be kept draughts free in cold winters. They are not as hard as they were 10 years ago.
Keeping Gouldians,Double Bars,Diamonds & Painted Finches.

Return to “Gouldian”