Is every one else's gouldians breeding badly

Includes Species Profile.
matcho

Tintola,
I have exactly the opposite, after a shaky start and a few lost chicks (probably 3 or 4) due to ants/heat, my goulds are doing pretty well. On the other hand my painteds are doing exacly what your goulds are doing. Nothing to the perch so far.

Misso,
Noticed that my hens are also staying in the box a bit longer after the chicks hatched. Strange little things aren't they. Maybe they do it to keep us on our toes.
tomorrows_angel

Ours were doing brilliantly. We never try to breed birds, we keep them as a hobby and if they breed then awesome, if not it's not a huge deal.

We started the summer with 3 gouldians, one pair bred and gave us another 6 babies. Bought a new mutation male to mix up the gene pool and we ended up with another 2 babies. 2 pairs laid again and we have a nest of 5 babies and another nest of 6. Sadly the aviary was attacked by a fox last night (never had any other issues aside from kookaburras/hawks in over 10 years) and we're left with one cuban, one gouldian, one tri-colour and a red faced parrot finch. Now I have 11 babies to try and hand rear, because the one gouldian left doesn't appear to be one of our parents.

:(
gouldianpaul

I noticed that wwith each of the clutches raised they took a little longer than normal to hatch (could have been the hen not sitting from the first egg), hen staying longer than the 10 days...and the young not fledging as soon as i expected...again I put this down to the colder weather...by pulling the boxes I meant when do you stop the breeding season....I will only pull the boxes when I want all birds in the avairy to not continue breeding...cheers, Paul
gouldianpaul

following on from the comments regarding the breeding success (or not) this year, i have noticed that the majority of fledglings from the first round are hens....approximately 80% or more...what are other breeders noticing?
TheFinchMan101

im noticing that mine are being roughly 50/50.
mackstaa

Definately more hens, for sure. (Last year was the same) I also seemed to lose more cock birds than hens :hothead:
Ill do a double check when I get back home on Wednesday after being away 2 weeks maybe a little more colour has run through them
Mackstaa
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

None of my young Gouldians are sexable yet. YH pair have their 3rd nest hatched. RH didn't go back down and YB let their young die just at the fledging stage and havent gone back down either. :thumbdown:
LML
LML

Return to “Gouldian”