weavers

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
Trilobite

Eorix, do the weavers nest in this reed mateiral (ie vertical stalks) or simply use it to obtain the nesting material and then use other plants to nest in? if they are nesting in the other plants what are you using that gives them the verticle stalks they need.
Cheers
Trilobite
E Orix

I have had Grenadiers build in the reeds.One year from a clump there were 4 nests being used at the same time.
Occasionally a bunch of finer stems and leaves are used by Napoleons but not the thick stems.O/Bishops non at this stage
Across the board its asset is supplying a material that is suitable for there nesting needs.
I am unable to put any pictures up until I know what I need in the near future.
wagga

I had papyrus reeds growing in tubs similar to eorix. My weavers enjoyed the reeds to look for insects (unfortunately did not use the small leaves for nesting). My birds nested in a fig tree or cotoneaster branches placed horizontally in the corners of aviary. The water in the tubs has a multiply use value, keeps the plants alive, instant greenery to the aviary, attracts insects and prevents mice from nesting in the tubs.
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.

Return to “For any species not listed below”