Aggressive Turaco

findi

Killer Turaco: One of the most aggressive birds I've ever worked with! http://bitly.com/Q9Nji4
Tintola

Thank you Frank for your interesting snippets. I have a Crested Pigeon, a Bush Thickknee and a Wompoo Pigeon with similar problems. On reading your notes on Malaysian Crested Partridges (Roul Roul) Unfortunately the population of them in Australia is down to one cock bird, unless someone is hiding some that we do not know about. :(
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
findi

Tintola wrote:Thank you Frank for your interesting snippets. I have a Crested Pigeon, a Bush Thickknee and a Wompoo Pigeon with similar problems. On reading your notes on Malaysian Crested Partridges (Roul Roul) Unfortunately the population of them in Australia is down to one cock bird, unless someone is hiding some that we do not know about. :(
My pleasure, thanks for the kind words. Are Thickknees often kept? Here we see them in zoos only rarely; would enjoy some info when you have time. I didn't realize roul rouls were not available in Australia, thanks. best, Frank
Myzomela

Unfortunately Frank this is an all too common scenario with imprinted birds.
They lack fear and once the hormones kick in and they become territorial then there is no stopping them.
I've seen it in parrots, storks, pheasants, bowerbirds, honeyeaters etc and it has been well documented in zoo/farm mammals.
Thanks for the article again.
I have always lamented the fact that turacos were never imported into Australia.
They make such good zoo exhibits and would be a great addition to private aviculture here.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
findi

Myzomela wrote:Unfortunately Frank this is an all too common scenario with imprinted birds.
They lack fear and once the hormones kick in and they become territorial then there is no stopping them.
I've seen it in parrots, storks, pheasants, bowerbirds, honeyeaters etc and it has been well documented in zoo/farm mammals.
Thanks for the article again.
I have always lamented the fact that turacos were never imported into Australia.
They make such good zoo exhibits and would be a great addition to private aviculture here.
Thanks for the kind words,. Yes, it's a real problem in zoos, especially where large mammals are concerned. They are wonderful aviary birds, would be especially so in those parts of Australia where outdoor housing is possible for much of the year. But you guys have had more than your share of problems with exotic species - mostly released via organized plan, rather than through the pet trade, but......

Best, Frank
elferoz777

that bird looks nuts!
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That birds beautiful.Your articles are always interesting. :thumbup: :clap:
findi

elferoz777 wrote:that bird looks nuts!
I used to say that...a malevolent look, somehow!

Best, Frank
MadHatter

Myzomela wrote: I've seen it in parrots, storks, pheasants, bowerbirds, honeyeaters etc and it has been well documented in zoo/farm mammals.
You can add Buff-banded Rail to that list... Rotten little sod. :irked:
findi

MadHatter wrote:
Myzomela wrote: I've seen it in parrots, storks, pheasants, bowerbirds, honeyeaters etc and it has been well documented in zoo/farm mammals.
You can add Buff-banded Rail to that list... Rotten little sod. :irked:
Thanks...Must be nice to work with them - are they often kept in private or zoo collections in your region? Rails in general are not given much attention here in US, in zoos or private collections I worked with Guam Rails years ago, and enjoyed the experience. If time permits, I and my readers would enjoy any quick post or observation you might make on this article :

http://bitly.com/OCCZ3G. Thanks, enjoy, Frank

Return to “Anything else”