Possible split blue gouldians percentages.

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
Blue Cuban

Its old news that the published results of possible outcomes regarding the passing on of the blue gene is a lot higher than what's calculated and I just wanted to share some of my results.

Last year I brought a pair of 100% split blue Gouldian's and produced 3 blues only to loose them 2 months out of the nest. Obviously there was a lot of normal birds that made it through to this breeding season that may or may not be caring the blue gene.

Finally they have started breeding and the results have been very pleasing.
Of the 8 birds I kept back (7 cocks 1 hen) 5 birds have produced young with blues in every nest, 1 pair that is on their second clutch only have small clutches (4 eggs) but there is always 2 blues in the nest.

Unfortunately unknowns to me while away at work I lost a lot of young including all baby blues but on the positive side they have started their second rounds so all going well the last 2 birds that haven't bred this year finds a partner and produce more blues making it 8 from 8.

Rich.
Hobby finch Keeper
Craig52

That's very interesting,but i don't think you can put a percentage on it.I had one pr of splits always bring out two blues out of a nest of four and another only one.In another pr of splits,four out of four all the time,they produced more blues than a blue to a split. Craig
Blue Cuban

Yeah I was referring to those online genetic calculators and like you I have always said how can such out comes be calculated...lol
Hobby finch Keeper
TomDeGraaff

Those who predict outcomes for various crosses do so as a percentage PROBABILITY that can vary for various reasons. They are based on sound principles but the percentages for each possible colour are based on huge numbers.

You seem to be very fortunate with the number of blues you hatch. Somewhere, there is possibly a breeder who is not so fortunate and may have none!! They average out.
Also. there are other genes that may qualify your sex ratio and/or colour ratio in the young bred. Some families produce all boys or all girls. This may be chance but may also be due to interference of another gene.

When mating two split blues, you will, on average, produce 1 normal, 2 split and 1 blue per 4 birds but that is an AVERAGE.

I hope that helps.
Tom
Blue Cuban

Well of all the possible split blues I have ever bred from in the last 2 seasons and kept back for the following season I have now produced young from them all and all have proven to be split to blue.

Some might say luck if it was 5-10 birds but not when I've test bred 20-30 birds.
From my experience and others I would have to say the chances of a split blue birds being produced from splits is up around 50-75%.
And with this opinion / experience (others as well) it would probably explain why $40 possible split blues are a hot item in WA.

Let's sit back and see who ups there price chasing the $$$

Rich.
Hobby finch Keeper
elferoz777

Don't complain

I have only split pairs now and haven't bred a single blue from any of them. And the breeders i got them from are trust worthy.

You should be more concerned as to whays causing their sudden death.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Finchy

BC, that's interesting, and you may be right.

Though confirming so many split blues seems 'fortunate', it sounds as though you lost all of their blue offspring quite quickly. That's very unfortunate, but a typical experience for most outdoor breeders. Be aware that in the vast majority of cases (all cases that I have been able to witness directly), full blues require special care to compensate for their immunological fragility, to keep them alive. That means an extremely clean environment that's not achievable in most truly outdoor aviaries. It may be achievable indoors, and even in an extra enclosed 'outdoor' aviary with a fogging machine. Also a willingness to medicate often may be required.

Remember that the only reason blues are still so expensive is the fact that they are so hard to keep alive and to breed from for most people. Otherwise there would be plenty of them around, just like yellows and other mutations, dropping the price.

It may be important to set yourself up a bit differently in preparation for the next lot of offspring, to give them a chance.
Blue Cuban

elferoz777 wrote:Don't complain

I have only split pairs now and haven't bred a single blue from any of them. And the breeders i got them from are trust worthy.

You should be more concerned as to whays causing their sudden death.
If anyone has blues dropping dead I would look hard at their current practice and their blood line as I have done with results picking up dramatically.

This season I've used a lot of first time parents and the only loss I've experienced is 1 drowning.

Rich.
Last edited by Blue Cuban on 16 Mar 2016, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
Hobby finch Keeper
gomer

Finchy wrote:BC, that's interesting, and you may be right.

Remember that the only reason blues are still so expensive is the fact that they are so hard to keep alive and to breed from for most people. Otherwise there would be plenty of them around, just like yellows and other mutations, dropping the price.

It may be important to set yourself up a bit differently in preparation for the next lot of offspring, to give them a chance.
I think there is plenty of them around now in Victoria anyway. There are big numbers being breed and even breeders now cutting back on breeding stock or venturing out into other areas. Pricing is coming down fast.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Blue Cuban

Haha... It's all about the money for some, can't wait for the day that I have to give them away.

Rich
Last edited by Blue Cuban on 16 Mar 2016, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
Hobby finch Keeper

Return to “Mutation Finches”