these 2 grasses safe to feed to gouldians?

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
werty

These grasses ok for gouldians?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tiaris

Yes. The one on the right (either couch or carpet grass) is by far better than the left one (paspalum). If paspalum heads are in any way sticky, I'd avoid feeding them altogether.
bob21358

As Tiaris said that one on the left is Paspalum. I think is Paspalum dilatatum. My birds wont eat this, not sure why but will eat Paspalum urvillei which is a lot taller. I have lots of it on my property and have seen small wild birds land on the stems and wander down the bent stem to have a feed.
Lachlan1

I remember going to a FSA meeting 5 odd years ago when I was 17 and they a few of the guys said paspalum in to large of a quantity can make the birds "drunk" or have symptoms of being drunk. I found this weird but never fed it to them just incase. Anyone else been told something similar?
werty

My Goulds go absolutely nuts over the sticky seed

Wouldn't the goulds know it wasn't good for them?
Craig52

werty wrote:My Goulds go absolutely nuts over the sticky seed

Werty,Paspalum itself is not the problem it's the ergets (claviceps paspali) that they are infected with.It causes staggers in horses, sheep and cattle and sometimes death occurs.
So if you intend to wash it thoroughly every time you feed it go for it but there are plenty of other seeding grasses out there that cause no harm like the crab grass in your other pic. Craig
werty

Craig52 wrote:
werty wrote:My Goulds go absolutely nuts over the sticky seed

Werty,Paspalum itself is not the problem it's the ergets (claviceps paspali) that they are infected with.It causes staggers in horses, sheep and cattle and sometimes death occurs.
So if you intend to wash it thoroughly every time you feed it go for it but there are plenty of other seeding grasses out there that cause no harm like the crab grass in your other pic. Craig
Thanks for the info

I won't be feeding it to them anymore

Return to “Diet & Food”