I just stuffed up.

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
matcho

Well guys,

Made my mealworm farm, 3 7 litre compartemts, top one with beetles with mozzie wire so eggs drop through, collected beetles from the aviary. Was all looking good. Placed the rest of the minis who were growing into the lower box. Decided needed some more to get it going. Travelled, bought another container of mini mealies and what I thought were just larger mealies. Got home and tipped them in. No No No No, read the container, they are "Super Worms", not mealies. Read up, have separated 80 so far in individual compartments to pupate.

So here is the question, should I start again or just sift out the supers and continue with my mealies? After all it is only 15 bucks. Tried the supers this arvo, no takers, too big, but I am looking at Diamonds, will they take these big buggers?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ken
Redwing

When I have a surplus I give some to my chooks for a treat.
matcho

We had chooks when I was a kid, no chooks here in Leichhartd. Suppose I could feed them to the young butcher bird that has just turned up. It has no idea, have to walk up and push it away during the day. Then again not a good idea, it might stay.

Ken.
Craig52

matcho wrote:We had chooks when I was a kid, no chooks here in Leichhartd. Suppose I could feed them to the young butcher bird that has just turned up. It has no idea, have to walk up and push it away during the day. Then again not a good idea, it might stay.

Ken.
G'day Ken, how big are these super mealworms? Diamonds will have a go at them but might just bite their heads off and dump the body where as the mini's will be swallowed whole,no waste.
Yes i would go through the box and sieve them out letting the small ones drop through,if you leave the big ones there they will make a MEAL :D of your small one's. Good luck sieving and with the butcher bird :shock: Craig
matcho

Craig,
Yeah,

I thought as much, after all the thing has only been going for four days, the size difference is extreme between the superworms and half grown mealies The top box with the frass with eggs from the true mealies I will keep and continue. Think that pouring it all into a collander might get things sorted, no way the supers can fit through. Might keep the eighty supers I have separated to pupae and have two different colonies, after all, I only want minis/mediums.

And yes, did a bit of research, they will make a meal of the mealies!

Thanks

Ken.

PS.

Will post photos of the set up. Simple as. Hardest part is getting it started. Lucky for me I sieved through the bottom of the cage and got 40 or so beetles to get it started and half a tub of minis that have started to grow too continue the process.

Hopefully when spring comes I might just have it down pat to start with my new thoughts, Diamonds, Orange Breast or something that needs live food.

Ken.

Return to “Diet & Food”