volcamin grit

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
paintedfiretail

.HI just after any sort of feed back on a product called Volcamin grit when I purchased it from a supplier at the Young bird sale he said it would replace the use of grit as grit may contain fungal spores and the birds would demolish it.
It has been in my aviarys for four months and has not been touched .I had my doubts but did not listen to my self and bought 10kg of it????
Craig52

paintedfiretail wrote:.HI just after any sort of feed back on a product called Volcamin grit when I purchased it from a supplier at the Young bird sale he said it would replace the use of grit as grit may contain fungal spores and the birds would demolish it.
It has been in my aviarys for four months and has not been touched .I had my doubts but did not listen to my self and bought 10kg of it????
PF,what sort of floor covering do you have in your aviary? If it is coarse sand or gravel that is all that they need for grit. Grit is insoluble and mainly eaten as a grinding agent and passed through their system.
On the other hand,the product this person is selling may be a calcium and mineral mix which when eaten is absorbed into the body. Too many people these days class the two of the above as grit. Craig
paintedfiretail

Craig52 wrote:
paintedfiretail wrote:.HI just after any sort of feed back on a product called Volcamin grit when I purchased it from a supplier at the Young bird sale he said it would replace the use of grit as grit may contain fungal spores and the birds would demolish it.
PF,what sort of floor covering do you have in your aviary? If it is coarse sand or gravel that is all that they need for grit. Grit is insoluble and mainly eaten as a grinding agent and passed through their system.
On the other hand,the product this person is selling may be a calcium and mineral mix which when eaten is absorbed into the body. Too many people these days class the two of the above as grit. Craig

Hi Craig yeh I have a local river sand a floor toped up yearly which is rather course sand, I all so have pipe bins full egg shell, charcoal,oyster shell, canundra shell grit,and cuttelbone shavings .and yes he did claim it had a broad range of minerals
in it but hey just the fact has not even been touched makes you wonder. cheers

Return to “Diet & Food”