Heading to Africa...

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
toothlessjaws

My wife and I planning a trip to Eastern Africa (and maybe a few days in South Africa) in the next couple of months and since it's arguably the land of finches, I was wondering if anyone on the forum has some tips on places to visit, spot birds (wildlife in general) etc.

At this stage looking like the well trodden path of Rwanda, Kenya and Tanzania. I've really wanted to do Gabon for at least 20 years but it sadly looks like tour operators have all bailed out of the county citing lack of infrastructure and tourists.

I have great field guides but i'd love to hear others experiences. looking forward to seeing my aviary subjects in the wild!
landferno

I spent about 6 months backpacking around Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania and Malawi 15 years ago. Uganda was the place i enjoyed the most. Beautiful country without the hassle which you get particularly in Kenya. Highlights were Bujagali Falls/Jinja, Kibale Forest (where the chimps are) Mgahinga NP to see the gorillas. Lake Bunyonyi and the Ssesse Islands in Lake Victoria. Bird watching amazing everywhere. Apparently the Rwenzori Mountains are great for birds but was off limits when i was there. Kenya is hard work but beautiful. Any of the National Parks are worth visiting. Lake Nakuru for the flamingoes. Lake Baringo is suberb for birds. So many different types of weavers, bee-eaters and metallic starlings. I saw two male Purple Grenadiers fighting at Lake Naivasha. They dropped on the ground right next to me and i could have picked them up!!!! Tanzania is again glorious. The Serengeti and Ngorogoro crater are mind blowing. Best place ive ever been. Zanzibar is beautiful too. Malawi is laid back and the lake is stunning. So many beautiful cichlid fish in there. All in all its all just amazing and a life changing experience. Im not a devout twitcher, just like to take the binoculars on any hikes or walks i do. But to see fires, cordens, st helenas, cutthroats, melbas etc in the wild was fantastic as well as all of those species we could only dream of keeping such as the plethora of different weavers, widowbirds and waxbills

Return to “The Lounge”