Advice on blue gouldians

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
gomer

Have currently got one split blue cock green back purple chest.And also two yellow back purple possible split to blue cocks and two hens.(Although the guy i bought from at a sale i have never seen again)

The normal split cock is currently nesting with a possible split yellow back hen.And the others i have in a holding cage.

I have a chance of buying either, 1. three blue cocks.Or a 2. pr of blues and a spare blue cock. 3. Two blue cocks and two normal green split hens.Any one of these combos for $900.Or 4. normal green split cocks or hens for $150 ea.Being sold as prs or cocks only.

Do i get option 1. three blue cocks and breed them with normal greens and breed my own splits taking two seasons to get blue,but having a different strain from the previous owner.Go for option 2. hope the hen lives get some blues or go for splits.Or go for option 3. with the birds being most likely related,the hens will be.and get splits and blues the first season.

These will be picked up in Feb.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Misso

hey gomer,

its a tricky one.

do you know how he has bred the blues??? inside or out?? i assume your gonna breed them outside? or in that new little room you built next to your avairies??

i would go with the splits, did the guy your buying the birds off recommend any specific pairing or tell you what works best for him??

i would perfer to have more lines of blue goulds and take longer to devalop good healthy stock, in melbourne you here the odd person breeding blues, but they never say if they are fostered, or bred indoors, or inbreed or how much medicine they are given to survive etc etc.

hopefully the possible split pair that's sitting now gives you some blue young to experiment with.

good luck with your decision

Jarryd :)
gomer

They are breed outdoors in a fully roofed aviary with blinds put down in cold weather Misso.

She sugested to go with the three cocks as a first choice then second choice with the split to blue hens.She only has the one blue hen left and two splits hens that are related.But has a fare few cocks,And has only just advitised.

I thought maybe i could source splits else where maybe ?

The birds are parent reared.She said she gives them a little vitamins.

I would start them off in the little aviarys in front of the bird room to see how they went.As my aviarys are 1/3 open roofed with no wind protection on the wire.

The split with posible split only have two eggs, as the third is smashed on the floor,So i would expect to get at most one young.
Keven S

Hi Gomer,
I have been mucking around with the blues for a couple of years now and if I was to have the option again as a starter package I would take blue cocks against hens any day. The males would be mated to normal hens as to breed my own split hens (knowing that they are TRUE splits) and look foward to the second breeding season, or option 2, blue cocks to split hens if you can 'Trust' the person that they are true splits (this is the best option but too many people are breeding split to split and selling ALL ofspring as true splits). As for breeding them out doors I would NOT buy hens as you will be looking for replacements very soon after cold weather sets in. However this my own opinion from my own experiences and I now only breed indoors with the blues as it is well known that they are a very weak strain and need a constant medication system put in place. I also hope that one day I can breed them outdoors, I have tried and believe me, it was a very costly mistake regardless to how good your cage is set up as they cannot tolorate the cold weather and drafts.

Regards Keven
gomer

Ordered the three cock birds.Will pick up after chrissy.And plan on putting them with normal green backs at this stage.will put my other possible split to blues together,And if lucky may get a silver.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good luck.
And remember there was a time when all Gouldians were "weak and hard to breed", but persistance and breeding the strongest stock has now produced heathy birds.
The same can happen with the blues.
LML
LML

Return to “Mutation Finches”