birds in R. Kingston's book i've never heard of..

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
toothlessjaws

well, its not that i have never heard of them, just that i didn't know they were ever in Australia.

i recently bought russell kingston's "keeping and breeding finches and seedeaters" and was surprised to see a bird in there that i had no idea was ever present in the country (and i have a very good memory for this kinda thing) - that bird was the black-capped waxbill, and i must say gorgeous little bird.

now does anyone know what happened to these beautiful birds? regionally extinct?

also if anyone knows, just how rare are the following? also extinct?

lavender waxbill
violet eared waxbill
dybowski's twinspot
red crested cardinal

interesting to note he also missed some birds that are in the country - no mention of the red crested finch in here...
Danny

With regards to the species you mention -
Black capped - rumoured to have been here but was never declared
lavender waxbill - gone
violet eared waxbill - very low numbers, ?? purity
dybowski's twinspot - very low numbers, may be finished
red crested cardinal - census suggests in greater numbersthan previously known
red crested finch - "appeared" and declared after that book was first published
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

toothlessjaws wrote:also if anyone knows, just how rare are the following? also extinct?

lavender waxbill
violet eared waxbill
dybowski's twinspot
red crested cardinal
Lavenders - gone recently
violets - I have seen some very recently but am not giving any info. also not sure on purity.
Dybowski's - most likely gone
red crested cardinal - I am certain there are still a few, but not sure about the balance of cocks/hens in that tiny stock.
toothlessjaws wrote:red crested finch
definitely still here thank god!!! :D
toothlessjaws wrote:black-capped waxbill
there were small numbers here many years ago but not anymore :(
toothlessjaws wrote:well, its not that i have never heard of them, just that i didn't know they were ever in Australia.

i recently bought russell kingston's "keeping and breeding finches and seedeaters" and was surprised to see a bird in there that i had no idea was ever present in the country (and i have a very good memory for this kinda thing) - that bird was the black-capped waxbill, and i must say gorgeous little bird.

now does anyone know what happened to these beautiful birds? regionally extinct?
good on you for buying the book :D I have sought it for many years without success for a price under $300. like I said, I know a couple of aviculturists DID keep black caps a very long time ago, but apparently they died out pretty quickly :?:
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Tiaris

I grew up with regular contact to some of the older (mostly now dead) pioneers of finch aviculture in Australia and never heard any reference to Black-capped waxbills being in Oz. Kept or saw all the others but not Black-capped. There were some Black-cheeked Waxbills about but these never established - perhaps some confusion with these. I think Russell must have included the species in his last book & this one to provide more international appeal to European, African & other finch enthusiasts who may have had access to this species. Not saying this is definitely the case as you never know whats out there, but I firmly believe this to be the case.
Danny

I think you may be right Tiaris - Black Cheeked seems to ring a bell now.
Myzomela

You can add Pearl headed Silverbills, Green backed Twinspots, Peales and Pin-tailed Parrot finches to that list of "were here relatively recently- where are they now??"
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

pin tails are still here, only one or two left now though :(
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
arthur

Chap in NQ had Sundevall's Waxbills . . 40 yrs ago. Can't recall what they looked like, but def. remember the name.

Checking the internet they are very similar to St Helena, Senegal

He had a very comprehensive collection, which included Moustache Finches(Scaley-crowned Weavers) and a 'golden' mutation of the Blood Finch . . breathtaking!! . . and just about everything else that open and shut

Back in those days foreign seamen would make extra pocket money by bringing birds from overseas . . I guess technically it was smuggling, but everybody knew it was happening, and basically no one was concerned

Unfortunately his aviaries were wiped out by floods in the early 70's . . Should have introduced that 'Carbon Tax' a bit earlier :lol:
djb78

Never heard of the black cap waxbill, but definitely heard of the black cheeked. Are there any black cheeks left here?
Danny

Return to “Non Specific Questions”