Yellow gouldian finch tail feather colour

Includes Species Profile.
TheFinchMan101

Does everyone know how the normal gouldian tail just before it pokes out is blue???
Well I have a query with the yellow back one would be because normally it's just a clear yellow but this one I have is a purple blue colour and I find it very odd as none of my other yellows have it.
He's definitely double factor not single factor yellow other wise he'd be dilute. Could he be split blue as well if he's tail is a blue purple colour????
Can someone please help me understand this, will post up pics later.. thanks. :D
cranberry

There is a lot of conjecture around as to whether a split autosomal recessive mutation like blue will show itself in a bird of a different colour to the recessive colour. I'm of the opinion it doesn't (and shouldn't), otherwise it would be called dominant or semi-dominant. The very nature of a recessive gene means it should not be visible, ever, unless the bird inherited both recessive genes from it's parents which means the recessive mutation will be visible.

I don't buy into this argument that the odd coloured feather shows that a bird is split for something.
TheFinchMan101

heres some photos of him.......
Diane

Your bird does seem to have quite a lot of heavy barring on the tail.
Ive just had a look at the two yellow backed cock birds I have.
The one I know is a RH PC YB/split blue has barring like this but not to the extent that yours is showing, my birds barring is quite faint.
P1010018.JPG
P1010019.JPG
The other bird is a BH WC YB and this bird doesn't have the barring.

Will interesting to see what others have to say.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
TheFinchMan101

ive also got another photo of the same bird on his head with a bright yellow spot on there
Simba

I don't think he's a DF Yellow because the ring between the red and the yellow on the head should be white, Is he Purple or White Breasted ? Can you post a picture of the front, I wonder if he's a recessive dilute.
Breeder of Gouldian Finches
TheFinchMan101

He has a purple breast.
Simba if he's a recessive dilute, what does that mean??
natamambo

Recessive dilute is rare, largely because most breeders don't bother with what is a pretty non-descript bird by Gouldian standards. I don' think he is one, there is too much colour in the face. I suspect he's just a very lightly colored SF yellow back. Only way to know for sure is to put him with a normal hen, you should get some YB hens and some SFYB males.

Return to “Gouldian”