Fledging time frames

Includes Species Profile.
flap

We currently have two pairs of YH nesting. Can hear chicks. One chick fledged one week ago. Seems to spend more time and get attention from the normal pair however seems to be a dilute and I did see the dilute cock from the other pair feed him on one occasion (so not sure what mum has been up to!)
I would assume that there would have been more than one chick from that clutch. The chicks we hear might be from the other pair. Because of where they nested we cannot see the chicks, where and how many there are. Is it possible that there would be such a long delay for chicks to fledge from one clutch? Or is it more likely that this is the only one from one clutch, and the ones we hear are from the other pair and a few days behind?
Thank you for any insights.
flaP
Tiaris

In colder weather there can be significant delays beyond what you'd normally expect for them to emerge (& I don't blame them for not wanting to leave the cosier spot). If there is a disparity between clutch-mates in terms of development this will significantly add to any gaps in fledging times within a clutch. This especially happens with larger clutches where the parents start incubation before the last egg(s) is laid. Generally the runt(s) receives an immediate developmental disadvantage which often becomes exagerated throughout the rearing period as the more robust, vocal and imposing young generally receive a greater share of food.
I have a particularly outstanding 2nd year pair of Gouldians who have seemingly made an extra effort to bring up to the pack later hatching young. This season they have reared clutches of 6,7 & 4 young & currently have a clutch of 6 two-week-old young in the nest & despite having a few large clutches with a gap of up to 1.5 days between 1st & last to hatch within these clutches had all young of even size by 1 week old. No clear eggs, no unhatched eggs, no runts & all young reared (so far) for a whole productive season - a shame most of my other pairs didn't follow their example. All my other pairs are 1st season breeders so maybe this ability to seek out the runts for extra feed to bring them up to par is something which comes with parenting experience??

Return to “Gouldian”