Fledgling on the ground

Includes Species Profile.
flap

Today we had two new chicks fledge. One is clearly stronger, flapping and flying, and spending time on the perches with the parents. The second one continuously ends up on the ground. I have tried to place on a perch several times only to have it dive down again, and twice I have placed it in a basket full of grass hanging in the aviary but before long he is back on the ground. He is currently on the ground, on the bed of straw and under shrubs where the quails are. I am worried that he won't be fed and/or might get cold overnight. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or should I just let nature take its course?
flaP
spanna

I foolishly checked a nest I assumed was a roosting nest about a week ago and a baby DB jumped out at me... Tried putting it back in but it just bailed straight back out at me, even though it can't fly very well, and is always on the ground. So for the last week I have been bringing it inside at about 5:30-5:45, which should be after it's last feed and giving all other birds enough time to settle back down. So far so good, it's almost tame now as well! Just put it in a little wicker nest in an escape proof box and put it back in the aviary as early as you can. I've been putting this little one back in just as the sun hits the aviaries, about 7:30 in the morning.
flap

thanks spanna, went to get him and can't see him so hoping mum and dad got him back up somehow!
flaP
POLAR GOULDIANS

Hi Flap,

I sometimes have fledglings that stay on the floor for a few days, sometimes it takes up to a week for them to get to flying properly. I have found that they still get fed and don't have a problem with sleeping on the ground. :)
"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
Diane

I agree with Polar, some do hang around the floor, but its a worry, especially in these cold and damp conditions. Hope you found him high and dry!
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
flap

Thanks for the replies, he was on the ground this morning but felt nice and warm. Found him in a corner behind a pot plant - the only spot I could not see yesterday without disrupting the birds. Seems to be ok and will continue to monitor him to make sure he is getting fed :)
flaP
shaunh

How iks the flrdgling doing did it find is wings??
flap

Not exactly, no. He continued to spend a lot of time on the ground, only occasionally flying up clumsily if startled, or perching mid height. But he spent time on the floor with the quails to the point where we started to think he had adopted them. Closer inspection eventually revealed a dirty vent and tell-tale clicking. Once he was 2 1/2 weeks since fledging and hopefully mostly weaned, we put him in the hospital cage and administered moxydectin. He has been there a few days, today he finally seems to have perked up, he is the most active I have ever seen him. He is still mostly on the floor of the cage rather than the perch though. Also because he has not perched much, his feet seem a little underdeveloped. I hope that will improve once he is back in the aviary and using his feet as he is meant to. We will wait till the weekend when we can give him a second dose of moxydectin before letting him out.
flaP
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

flap wrote:Not exactly, no. He continued to spend a lot of time on the ground, only occasionally flying up clumsily if startled, or perching mid height. But he spent time on the floor with the quails to the point where we started to think he had adopted them. Closer inspection eventually revealed a dirty vent and tell-tale clicking.
Wouldnt that mean the other birds he has been in contact with could have ASM?
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
flap

It is possible. We are planning on treating all the aviaries on the weekend.
flaP

Return to “Gouldian”