Why Not??

Includes Species Profile.
TheFinchMan101

ive been talking to a few of the membes of our local bird club and im always asking about the blue gouldians and they always say big no no and waste of money. Is there something wrong with the blue gouldians in our area because it sounds like every single one of their birds have died from sickness. i even asked about the splits and there no good either. is it because of my age that they may think i may not be able to look after these birds?? ive done a good 3 three years research on the blues and have learned everything from their genetics to their inbreeding. what else more could i do??
gouldianpaul

Hi TheFinchMan101,

If you have been sucessful breeding normals and/or yellow backs I wouldn't be affraid to breed blues....I would advise to start off with split birds...and do all the things you have for your existing birds...free from draught and a well balanced nutritious diet is the key....and plenty of patience.....and never pair a blue x blue....only blue to split or two splits together....I'm in Melbourne and I have a couple of pairs of splits that have done reasonable well for me...cheers, Paul
TheFinchMan101

thank you, im in the process of building two aviaries in one to house one pair of splits in each aviary, yet im always told all this bad stuff about them in our area making me worried about buying off them??
or is it just because of their current reputation of always dropping off the perch??
AMCA26

Plus they may not be parent reared or they may well be under heaters and also indoors?
Mine are Parent reared and No heaters and outdoors.
Breeding Show Zebra Finches, Blue Gouldians, Pied Orange Breast.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds like a challenge Finchman .....you know what you need ie. aviary bred from climate like yours ,parent reared etc etc .

So if and when the right birds come along then go for it however do remember it is not going to be a cheap venture so if you are happy to take a risk then :thumbup:

Thing is if its your dream then you have to start somewhere dont you / Good luck with it .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent

Return to “Gouldian”