Sex linked RH

Includes Species Profile.
Diane

Tt101 wrote
BH,WC,GB female and a very beautiful RH,PC,GB male. they fill my house with beautiful sounds all day long and can't wait to see what babies they produce.
bluebutterfly213 wrote
Assuming your birds are not split for any other colours.
When you get young from your pair they will be
R/b PC/w GB cocks
RH PC/w GB hens

If your cock bird is split to BH you will possibly see some BH, the hens will be BH or RH, the cocks will be BH or R/b
If you get an YH that would indicate both parents are split YH .

You can find out the full options by downloading the Gouldian Genetic Forecaster, there is a link in this topic.
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6209&p=47774&hilit=forecaster#p47774
Tt101 wrote
thank you,
the breeder i got them from told me that they produced BH and RH hens and RH cocks....im not so sure how that works out though unless BH is sex linked recessive but that would mean that only one of the genders could be able to be BH can someone explain this
:clap: Good on the breeder for telling you what they produced, not only did you get a pair that are proven breeders, your are aware from the beginning that your birds are split.
You are correct, this means the cock is RH/b. He will produce both BH and RH cocks but the ALL the RHs will be split to black.
Hens will be either black or red.
ALL the chicks will be PC/w
There is the possibility of one of parents being split to YH too without this colour showing. :D
If you do get a YH or a yellow tipped BH it means both parents are split YH

Welcome to the wonderful world of Gouldian Genetics :lol:

You might like to read the genetic section in this website, it explains it far better than I could.
http://www.gouldiansgalore.net/genetics.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I found it most helpful especially when I used it in conjunction with the forecaster.
We do have some genetic wizards here on the forum too so many questions can be answered by them.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Tt101

why thank you very much for the explanation. the breeder did not mention anything about the chest color of the babies or if the male was split for any other chest color so here's crossing my fingers that he will be split to white chest and produce me some red headed white chested babies. i could call and ask her but i dont want to know lol. i want to be surprised. i never knew yellow head could also be carried though.....if my birds produced RH and BH babies how is it possible that they carry yellow headed genes?. im also really confused about pied, i know there is recessive and dominant pied but what genes control the pied coloring? and seeing as how my birds are both not pied would that mean they could be recessive pied?. oh how i wish i could get my hands on a orange headed, white chested yellow backed gouldian and a white chested blue backed gouldian....i like how all the parts on a gouldian are so clearly defined and easily played around with :thumbup:
Diane

:oops: Sorry if I spoiled any surprises.
Tt101 wrote:never knew yellow head could also be carried though.....if my birds produced RH and BH babies how is it possible that they carry yellow headed genes
YH is autosomal recessive but a YH bird needs at least one red head gene to be present to make the yellow visible.
Cant say Ive ever seen pied gouldians, but there is the Aussie Blues and the Aussie Yellows.
Diane
Tt101

oh ok i understand now. no you never ruined any surprises i asked so its all good. now i wonder....maybe the grand parents could have carried genes that have not been expressed and maybe this time will be.....this is so exciting lol. :lafhard:
Diane

You could call the breeder and ask about the grandparents and any further breeding behind them, if they know any further back. This would give you the range of colour expectations, but you would still be surprised as to which would actually show up due to the percentage factor.
Diane
Tt101

i could but i still want total surprise lol. i dont want to know anything else, i want to find it out. i think i may have realized why they arent laying...i think its no surprise but i check the nest twice a day for eggs. i feel so stupid now because i should have realized sooner. im going to leave them alone for at least a week before checking anymore, i think the numerous nest checks are pushing the parents away. :worry: :worry: :worry:
Diane

:lol:
Patience is definitely a requirement when waiting for birds to mate, lay eggs, hatch, fledge, and moult. All a waiting game.

You should be able to get a good idea if eggs have been laid without checking the nest, as you will only see one bird in the flight area. As you said too many nest inspections can cause them to not lay and also desert either eggs or babies. Having said that some are bomb proof.
Diane
Tt101

thanks, and you are so right. i need a ton of patience and i need to stop checking even if im practically being magnatized toward the nest. its like those cartoons where the scent of something delicous floats you towards the kitchen lol. but patience takes the :bun: :cloppy:
im gonna relax and calm down lol-today she went in at 12 and didnt come out until 1:30 and that was the longest that she has ever gone into the nest without coming out so i thought that she was laying FOR SURE but of course i felt like a :fish: lol.
when i had societies the female would lay an egg every morning and nest after all theb eggs were laid.

Return to “Gouldian”