Bloody hell what next

jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So I finally got to see the avian vet with this little quarrion with the bung leg and wing .
The leg was as I thought and a D3 / Calcium issue , pain killers for 10 days to see if the birds behaviour changes which will test whether it is in pain or not which is my only concern since it is using the foot to perch quite OK .

The wing ...bloody hell the poor little thing has somehow suffered a injury to the shoulder in the nest , it has scarred up so nothing can be done . The vet didnt think it was in pain as he played with it and rotated it for quite a while without a scream or attempted bite ( Parent raised bird so it was expected to act on pain ).

So I says ...while Im here Doc I dont like the feel of its breastbone or those stained feathers , could you do a poo test for Coccidia ...Far out the tests were positive . :cry:

So now Im treating all 6 hand reareds with Baycox ( direct to the beak ) and antibiotics :thumbdown: ..oh Baycox , first 2 vets I went to with the prescription had sold out and the third only had just enough to fill my script :shock: Yep cocci outbreak in Dubbo .

So now Im hoping I have enough to treat the parents of this one with Baycox which is my question ....how much do I need in water to treat 2 birds and for how long do they have Baycox in the aviary ?

Soooo thats it , wondering where the hell I went wrong now ...and hearing the vets last words over and over in my head ..."If any of them die let me know straight away " :wtf:
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
west finch

3 ml to a ltr of water for 8 hours a day for 2 days
Work smarter not harder !
Myzomela

Hi Deb,
Don't panic. If you run out of baycox and the other birds are not obviously ill then you may be able to use either amprolium ( eg coccivet) or a sulpha drug which will suppress the coccidia, if not kill them.

Don't forget to keep the floors as dry as possible, especially around water dishes and decrease the stress on the birds eg keep the population density down; ensure plenty of perching space and separate feed areas to avoid competition.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have 1 pair per flight but you did hit on something ...the water bowls have been filled by hose making a damp area . Ill be doing things different now ...thanks heaps Myzo.

Good news Ill get onto some coccivet for the other birds . They onlt gave me 3 mls so I have to be frugle with it .
David Brent
matcho

Deb,

I don't think that you are going to be the only sufferer of this dilema given the amount of wet weather we have had on the east coast so far this couple of months. Will be giving my birds the baycox and cydectin treatment shortly. Just waiting for a few dry days... yeah right!

Good luck
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks Matcho , happy to say all birds are alive and well , eating , pooping and looking perky . Poor little Pip hates me now since its a struggle to get even the smallest syringe into his tiny little beak .

Looks like Cocci treatments are now up there with worming , guess my view on minimal medications has been altered somewhat :shock:
David Brent
Mortisha

I find Protexin is a almost miracle product with all kinds of stressed & sick animals,including birds.
I've lost count on how many rescues we thought were lost only to pull back through with a dose in their feed for a couple of days.
After their course of antibiotics, I'd add a tiny amount to the feed to make sure the good gut flora can outcompete the harmful.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yep I have protexin in the fridge at all times , comes in handy when hand rearing very young birds .

Always give them a reload with protexin after antibiotics or any gut upset .( Always being twice in 3 years touch wood no more )
David Brent
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Day 4 of treatment and birds are looking good , seem to be heavier , eating like little pigs and happy for a fly around outside the cage again . :thumbup:
David Brent
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Babies are doing well now , on day 3 of second dose of Baycox then that should be it .
The little one with the bung leg and wing surprised us today by flying YAY , his name is Stanley and he is a wanted bird :roll: yes g/friend has fallen for him .

Thats all
David Brent

Return to “Anything else”