Gouldians

Includes Species Profile.
natamambo

The same way as the rest of the year - in a holding cage away from the rest - but with added patience :silent: .

If no symptoms then sometimes in desperation I'll trim the isolation period. Had to with the longtails coz the leftover hens were causing WWIII.
gouldianpaul

exactly my point natambo....why buy Goulds in March/April....because you cannot start to breed with them until May onwards...sorry but i can't see the point :wtf: :wave:
Mr Tino

Hi natamambo ,Let me say when sell your off spring,if you have equal amount of male and female you perfur to sell them as pair,most of time the hen will go,not all will buy male some do some dont,it the same in pet shop,sometime we attend breed more hen then that can be done,but it dosen't alway happen.all you have to do look at stock what you will have and make up your mine.

cheer from tony :wave: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Tiaris

I reckon December/January is the perfect time to buy Gouldians. Just finished moult, hundreds of young birds available & in their prime & breeding commences any time from late January onwards. If your Gouldians aren't breeding until May then you must have some compatability problems for the first few months of the breeding season. By March the eyes have been well & truly picked out of the previous season's young birds & mostly all you'll come by are other people's leftovers.
ColouredFeathers

You are right tiaris the perfect time to buy gouldians is december/january
but if buyers whant to buy the early bread birds or the best birds ,
the best thing to do is ring the breaders early and put order in
and you will get the best birds.
cheers flavio.
Image Image Image
garyh

Just to add a little bit,last year i bred over 260 gouldians all good birds ,parent raised in outdoor aviaries,i could not sell all of them early in the new year because of the number so first in best dressed,but in the end i had to take them to the sales,some people where very sus about age,breeding enviroment, fostering,ect.To my knowledge there was nothing wrong with these birds,and feed back was positive,buying later in the year does not mean you are going to get a bad bird ,but it does mean you have to do your home work.Setting your birds for an early start to the year especially with young birds does not mean great results,some do ,most dont,a great breeder of blue gouldians in NSW told me not to worry if they didnt go down until about april,true words .Ithink most gouldian breeders get to anxious,they want immediate results ,in my short experience some of your best results come later in the year,i also believe blues are best bred with their parents and not with fostering,my one finger is now worn out ,time for me to go cheers gary.
Simba

Hi Garyh
260 Gouldians that's a lot how many breeding pairs did you have ? Was that mainly normals or mutations aswell.

I agree the best time for buying gouldians is December/Jan and like Flavio said placing and order will help secure the better birds, however I would assume most breeders would keep a few good birds as spares for the breeding season, if the season goes well they may sell off these spares in April/May in order to make way for youngsters.
Breeder of Gouldian Finches
garyh

Hello simba,sorry i didnt reply earlier ,yes i have a couple a pairs and all went well last year,this year a little slower because of the weather,you have to blame something.I agree good time to buy gouldians or place order is early,but buyer beware just because its the start of the season does not mean you are buying his/hers best birds ,any breeder would still have picked their best birds for them selves,later on they may not be able to keep some birds that they normally would and this ,with homework is a very good time to buy.I just feel some buyers get a bit carried away and have to have it all today,a little bit of patients goes a long way,thanks for letting me air my views and hope breeding goes well for all gary cheers.
garyh

PS sorry simba,i have normals ,yellow backs and blues still coloring up so still a bit shabby but will have most of the colors,my fingers sore so goodby and good breeding gary.

Return to “Gouldian”